1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding volume using cross sections

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the volume of the solid whose base is the region bounded by y^2=9x and x=1 in the xy-plane. each cross section perpendicular to the x-axis is an isosceles right triangle with its hypotenuse in the xy-plane.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]V=\int_{a}^{b}A(x)dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    well first i solved for y and got y=3sqrt(x) and y=-3sqrt(x), then i figured out the length of the hypotenuse to be 3sqrt(x)-(-3sqrt(x))=6sqrt(x)
    but the formula for the area of an isosceles right triangle is 1/2a^2 where a is one of the triangles legs. how do i figure out the length of one of the legs?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I hope you have drawn sketches of everything, especially the triangles. The base of each triangle is 2y = 6√x. Each triangle is made up of two isosceles right triangles. The base of each is y = 3√x. Is that enough to get you started?

4. Dec 10, 2011 #3
    yeah got it, thanks!

5. Dec 10, 2011 #4
    just a quick question to check if i got the right answer, the area will then be 1/2(3sqrt(2x))^2=1/2*9*2x=9x
    and integrating i get a volume of 9/2 since my limits will be from 0 to 1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook