1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumes of Solids with Known Cross Section Project

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1

enn

I'm trying to get started on this project but am totally confused about how to find the volume of the solid. All the information I was given was the following:

y= √x

boundaries: 0,9

cross sections: isosceles right triangle

how the hell do I get started?!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You use that the integral of area is equal to volume. You certainly need a little more information. My guess is that you are supposed to assume one of the sides of the triangle is between (x,0) and (x,sqrt(x)). Whether it's the hypotenuse of the triangle or the side is yours to guess unless they gave you a little more info.

4. Jun 4, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are doing just about everything wrong here. First, you are being rude- not a good way to ask for help. Second, I don't believe this was "all the information" you were given! For example, I'll bet you were told what "y= √x" means and you don't tell us that. I suspect you were told that the right angle of that "iososceles right triangle" lies on the the x-axis and another vertex on the graph of y= √x. Also, I'll bet that you were NOT told "boundaries: 0, 9" but were told that one end of the solid is at x= 0 and the other at x= 9.

If that is true then an isosceles right triangle with right angle on the x axis and another vertex at y= √x has both legs of length √x and so area (1/2)bh= (1/2)(√x)(√x)= x/2. If we imagine one cross section "slab" as having thickness "dx" then its volume is (x/2)dx. Find the whole volume by integrating that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted