Finding work done by force of friction

• Thread starter Zipzap
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A 4.0-kg block is lowered down a 37° incline a distance of 5.0 m from point A to point B. A horizontal force (F = 10 N) is applied to the block between A and B as shown in the figure. The kinetic energy of the block at A is 10 J and at B it is 20 J. How much work is done on the block by the force of friction between A and B?

(I can't find a picture of this, but the block is being lowered down an incline going right, and the horizontal force is directly left, parallel to the ground)

Homework Equations

Ek = 0.5mv^2
Ep = mgh
(delta)E = Ef - Ei

The Attempt at a Solution

After some research, the answer is supposed to be -68 J

However, I'm stuck as to how I have to approach this problem. My initial idea was to determine the potential and kinetic energies of both A and B, and somehow use basic math and plug n' chug to get my answer. Is this the right approach?

Answers and Replies

You know the initial KE of the block at "A". You also know the kinetic energy of the block at "B". The reduction in the potential energy (m*g* 5 * sin(37)) must cause in increase in KE of the block. The frictional force will dissipate the KE of the block and the component of the applied force along the incline (10 * cos(37)) to the left will dissipate the KE too.

So

KE(A) = 10

KE(B) = KE(A) + (m*g* 5 * sin(37)) - Frictional energy - (energy lost due to applied force along the incline tending to push it up along the incline ie - (10 * cos(37)) * 5

Plug in the numbers and get the Frictional energy

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi Zipzap! :wink:

(have a delta: ∆ and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

Use the work energy theorem …

total work done = change in mechanical energy …

what do you get? :smile:

Venkatg: Let me see if I have this down right...

KE(B) = KE(A) + PE(A) - F(fric) - W(app)

-F(fric) = KE(B) - KE(A) - PE(A) + W(app)

-F(fric) = 20 - 10 - 4*9.8*5sin37 + 10*5*cos37

Unfortunately, I get the right number, but I end up getting it positive and not negative. Where did I go wrong?

-fric = - 50 J (approximately)

so "fric" is 50 J. right ;-)?