1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fine and Hyperfine splitting

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1
    I'm having some problems with the Fine and Hyperfine splitting (FS and HFS). For example the 3s3p Configuration, I understand the FS:
    ************1P________J=1*****_______ Mj=0
    *****************************_______ Mj=-1
    ************3P______ Is split into J=0,1,2 and they are split into the Mj levels

But where then is the HFS. I understand that I and J couple to F and that gives MF-levels but I don't know where to put in the picture above.

edit: the picture isn't very clear, sorry had to add some stars.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the degeneracy of the Mj levels in the absense of the HFS ?

Perhaps, I should ask this first : Do you know where to put the hyperfine levels for the 1s orbital ?
  4. Jan 26, 2006 #3
    For the 1s Orbital: L=0, S=1/2 thus J=1/2. That means the level has FS for J = 1/2 and J = -1/2. I don't know I so I can't give the F values however I suppose that the J-levels are splitted into the F-levels. And that if there is an external magnetic field (weak) the F-levels are splitted into 2F+1 Mf levels. Is this correct?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?