What does having a finger magnet implant feel like?

• Thread starter MathJakob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary: The strength of the electromagnetic field is extremely dependent on a lot of factors, like where you are and what objects are close to you.
MathJakob
I just found out today that this is a real thing, people can get a tiny neodymium magnet implanted into your finger tip and apparently it allows you to feel the electromagnetic field, and the strength varies depending on where you are and what your hands are close to.

I just wondered what this would actually feel like, would it just be like the wind or would it feel like a tingley nerve or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Got a link?

MathJakob said:
I just found out today that this is a real thing, people can get a tiny neodymium magnet implanted into your finger tip and apparently it allows you to feel the electromagnetic field, and the strength varies depending on where you are and what your hands are close to.

I just wondered what this would actually feel like, would it just be like the wind or would it feel like a tingley nerve or something?

Sounds like BS to me. Do you have a reference to a scientific journal where this is described?

There isn't any actual scientific research about it but people have got it done, I found numerous tattoo shops online who do the precedure. Whether or not you actually feel the electromagnetic field or not is another story all together but lots of people who've had it done claim they feel the same sensation and that after a while it can get pretty annoying.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/05/27/magnet-implants-sixth-sense-or-nonsense/

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mods/news/2006/06/71087?currentPage=all

If the magnetic field is strong enough to physically move the magnet, then people would be able to feel it. Just like if they were holding the magnet and a magnetic field physically moved it.

I've seen pictures of people getting this. As far as feeling magnetic fields go I'm pretty sure it's just a pulling sensation they can feel. I've seen pictures of people lifting small objects like nails and keys with their implants.

Why is this in product claims?

What happens when you need an MRI?

HayleySarg said:
How can people be so stupid as to do this?

My guess would be that they're feeling a bit more than a tug. But this would be based on speculation.

I know they make my grandmother remove her magnetic arthritis bracelets (lol).

HayleySarg said:

You have to get it taken out. Other than that the magnet doesn't cause much problems, it isn't strong enough to wipe credit cards or interfer with watches ect.

MathJakob said:
You have to get it taken out. Other than that the magnet doesn't cause much problems, it isn't strong enough to wipe credit cards or interfer with watches ect.
So, they're in an accident and have to have an MRI, they're unconscious or not thinking clearly. There goes part of the finger. A fool and their finger are soon parted.

Evo said:
So, they're in an accident and have to have an MRI, they're unconscious or not thinking clearly. There goes part of the finger. A fool and their finger are soon parted.

MRid aren't given to unconscious people in case they have metal implants. A CT scan or other form of x-ray would be used.

Ryan_m_b said:
MRid aren't given to unconscious people in case they have metal implants. A CT scan or other form of x-ray would be used.
Well, then awake and they forget about it. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Well, then awake and they forget about it. :biggrin:

There's no accounting for stupidity :tongue:

MathJakob said:
There isn't any actual scientific research about it but...

Hey, isn't that a direct quote from the PF Crackpot Thread...? :smile:

berkeman said:
Hey, isn't that a direct quote from the PF Crackpot Thread...? :smile:

I don't know. This isn't really crackpot theory though... think of it logically, if you had a magnet that was in the tip of your finger which I believe contains a lot of nerve endings, you would be able to feel the force of other magnets attracting or repelling from the one in your finger.

If things give off electromagnetic waves, would the magnet in your finger not react to it? Even if the feeling was minimal, because the magnet is inside your finger surrounded by nerves, it's quite possible you'd feel the force?

MathJakob said:
I don't know. This isn't really crackpot theory though... think of it logically, if you had a magnet that was in the tip of your finger which I believe contains a lot of nerve endings, you would be able to feel the force of other magnets attracting or repelling from the one in your finger.

If things give off electromagnetic waves, would the magnet in your finger not react to it? Even if the feeling was minimal, because the magnet is inside your finger surrounded by nerves, it's quite possible you'd feel the force?

Yes, it is crackpot crap. First of all, you could superglue the small magnet to your fingertip and get the same experience. No need to insert it under the epidermis.

Second, the article talks about it interacting with microwave ovens and other RF devices which is pure BS. Without some rectification mechanism, the frequencies are way to high to be detected down near DC where we live.

This thread is getting on my nerves. It's closed for now.

1. What is a finger magnet implant?

A finger magnet implant is a small magnet that is inserted under the skin of the fingertip. It is typically made of a material called neodymium, which is a strong and durable type of magnet.

2. How is a finger magnet implant inserted?

The implantation process involves making a small incision in the fingertip and inserting the magnet under the skin. The procedure is relatively quick and can be done under local anesthesia.

3. Does having a finger magnet implant hurt?

The implantation process may cause some discomfort, but it is typically not very painful. There may be some soreness and tenderness in the fingertip for a few days after the procedure, but this can be managed with over-the-counter pain medication.

4. What does it feel like to have a finger magnet implant?

The sensation of having a finger magnet implant varies from person to person. Some people report feeling a slight tingling or buzzing sensation in their fingertip, while others may not feel anything at all. Over time, the sensation may become less noticeable as the body gets used to the magnet.

5. Are there any risks or complications associated with finger magnet implants?

There are some potential risks associated with finger magnet implants, including infection, rejection of the implant, and damage to the surrounding tissue. It is important to have the implant inserted by a trained professional and to follow proper aftercare instructions to reduce the risk of complications.