1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite-Compliment Topology and intersection of interior

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED]Finite-Compliment Topology and intersection of interior

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given topological space (R[tex]^{1}[/tex], finite compliment topology), find counter example to show that

Arbitary Intersection of (interior of subset of R[tex]^{1}[/tex]) is not equal to Interior of (arbitary intersection of subset of R[tex]^{1}[/tex]).

[tex]\bigcap^{\infty}_{n=1}int(A_{n})\neq int(\bigcap^{\infty}_{n=1}A_{n}) [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

When we consider topological space (R[tex]^{1}[/tex], usual topology), it is easy to find out that [-1/n, 1/n] is the example.

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I thought what shapes the open of topological space (R[tex]^{1}[/tex], finite compliment topology) might have, and it seems to have some shape of real line having finite omissions.
    And I tried [tex] A_{n}[/tex] = R-[-1/n, 1/n], and [-1/n, 1/n], but found out all of these are not counterexample..
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at random subsets of R, and study what their interiors look like.
  4. Oct 3, 2007 #3
    A(n) = R-{n}

A(n)=R-{n} is the counterexample...
    I tried this case many times but it was not the counterexample,
    but after some fresh air, it is clear this is counter example..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?