Understanding Finite Element Method: Diagonal Values and Calculating K Matrix

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling to understand how to add up values in a diagonal and obtain certain values in a matrix. They also question why the author did not directly include these values in the matrix and express frustration at the difficulties in typing out the problem.
fonseh

Homework Statement

In the third picture , I don't understand the circled part , add up the values in the diagonal .. How to do that ?

I don't understand how to get k13 , k14 , k21 , k22 , k33, k41 and k42 .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As we see in the second picture , the k21 and k22 = -20 and 20 respectively , why in the third picture , the k1 and k22 become -20 and 40 ?
Is the solution provided wrong ?

Attachments

• 651.jpg
    651.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 344
  • 652.jpg
    652.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 356
  • 653.jpg
    653.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 366
  • 654.jpg
    654.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 313
  • 655.jpg
    655.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 358
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried add up 20, 40, 100/3, and 40/3 , i get 230/3 , none of the number in the matrix is 230/3!

Can anyone help ?

why there's 3 boxes ? Why don't the author directly put it into the matrix as k11 , k12 , k21 , k22 , k33 , k34 , k43 and k44 only ?

fonseh said:
Can anyone help ?

No, I doubt that anyone is willing to help you. In many other threads you have been advised, over and over and over again, not to just post images, but you consistently ignore this advice. Now you see the consequences.

Likes fonseh
Ray Vickson said:
No, I doubt that anyone is willing to help you. In many other threads you have been advised, over and over and over again, not to just post images, but you consistently ignore this advice. Now you see the consequences.
I already highlighted the part i don't understand . This question is rather long . It's difficult to simplify it and type it out . Sorry for the trouble caused

Ray Vickson said:
I already highlighted the part i don't understand . This question is rather long . It's difficult to simplify it and type it out . Sorry for the trouble caused

What is the Finite Element Method?

The Finite Element Method (FEM) is a numerical technique used to solve complex engineering problems by dividing a continuous system into smaller, simpler elements. It is based on the concept of discretization, in which the system is approximated by a finite number of equations that are easier to solve.

How does the Finite Element Method work?

The Finite Element Method works by breaking down a complex system into smaller elements, such as triangles or rectangles, and then solving for the behavior of each element. These individual element solutions are then combined to form an overall solution for the entire system.

What are the applications of the Finite Element Method?

The Finite Element Method has a wide range of applications in various fields such as structural analysis, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, electromagnetics, and many more. It is commonly used in engineering disciplines to analyze and design structures and systems.

What are the advantages of using the Finite Element Method?

Some of the advantages of using the Finite Element Method include its ability to handle complex geometries, its flexibility in incorporating different types of boundary conditions, and its ability to model nonlinear behavior. It is also a cost-effective and time-efficient method compared to physical testing.

What are the limitations of the Finite Element Method?

While the Finite Element Method is a powerful tool for solving complex engineering problems, it also has some limitations. It requires expertise and experience to set up and interpret the results. It also relies on the accuracy of the input data and assumptions made during the modeling process.