Finite simple group with prime index subgroup

In summary, if G is a finite simple group and H is a subgroup of prime index p, then p is the largest prime divisor of the order of G and p^2 cannot divide the order of G. This is proven using the related theorem that states if H is of finite index in G, then G/HG can be embedded in the symmetric group on the index of H. By showing that the core of H in G must be either 1 or G, and since G is simple it cannot be G, it is concluded that G/HG = G can be embedded in S|G:H|, which has order p!. From this, it is deduced that p is the largest prime divisor of |G|, and
asllearner

Homework Statement

If G is a finite simple group and
H is a subgroup of prime index p
Then
1. p is the largest prime divisor of [tex]\left|G\right|[/tex] (the order of G)
2. p2 doesn't divide [tex]\left|G\right|[/tex]

I think I have this proved, but want to confirm my reasoning is sound.
this problem is from intro to group theory by rose. it is problem 192 on p 75 in the chapter on group actions on sets, including embedding finite groups in symmetric groups.

thanks in advance for help

Homework Equations

related theorem: if H is of finite index in G, then G/HG, where HG is the largest normal subgroup of G contained in H, (that is the core of H in G) can be embedded in the symmetric group on [tex]\left|G: H \right|[/tex] objects.

The Attempt at a Solution

the core must be = 1 or G since G is simple (yes?).
and it can't be G since G isn't contained in H.
the theorem above implies, since HG is going to be 1 , that G/HG = G can be embedded in S[tex]\left|G: H \right|[/tex], which has order p!.

from here I think I am supposed to assume that there is a prime q that divides G. but then it would divide p!, and that means it would have to be less that p.

I believe this implies conclusion 1. Yes?
As to part 2, ...
Since the core is normal, the subgroup isomorphism theorem (I think) gives
[tex]\left|G/ H_{G}\right|= \left[G:H\right] \left[H:H_{G}\right] = p \left[H:H_{G}\right][/tex]
therefore, since the core is trivial.
[tex]\left|G\right|= p \left[H\right][/tex]
now the order of G has to be less that p!
so the order of H has to less that p-1!, which means that p can't divide it, so p2 can't divide G.

Did I get it, or have I fooled myself?

Physics news on Phys.org
For part 2, you are thinking too hard. If [tex]p[/tex] is prime, and you know that [tex]|G|[/tex] divides [tex]p![/tex], can [tex]p^2[/tex] divide [tex]|G|[/tex]?

duh! Thinking too hard is what I do. I think.

(I was fooled because I was following copying the steps of a related proof on the same page...)

otherwise proof ok?

thanks tads for the reply...much obliged!

Assuming the "related theorem" you cite, yes, your proof is correct.

1. What is a finite simple group with prime index subgroup?

A finite simple group with prime index subgroup is a group in which the subgroup has a prime index, meaning that the order of the subgroup is a prime number. This type of group has important applications in mathematics and physics.

2. How is a finite simple group with prime index subgroup different from other types of groups?

A finite simple group with prime index subgroup is different from other types of groups in that it has a prime index subgroup, which has special properties that make it useful for certain mathematical and scientific applications. Additionally, finite simple groups are groups that cannot be broken down into smaller groups, making them an important concept in group theory.

3. What are some examples of finite simple groups with prime index subgroup?

Some examples of finite simple groups with prime index subgroup include the alternating groups, symmetric groups, and the sporadic simple groups. These groups have been studied extensively and have important applications in various areas of mathematics and physics.

4. How are finite simple groups with prime index subgroup used in mathematics and science?

Finite simple groups with prime index subgroup are used in a variety of mathematical and scientific applications, including group theory, abstract algebra, and number theory. They also have important applications in particle physics, specifically in the study of quark and lepton interactions.

5. Are there any unsolved problems related to finite simple groups with prime index subgroup?

Yes, there are still some unsolved problems related to finite simple groups with prime index subgroup. For example, the classification of finite simple groups is still an open problem, and there are ongoing efforts to understand the structure and properties of sporadic simple groups. Additionally, there are still many unanswered questions about the relationships between different types of finite simple groups with prime index subgroup.