Why Am I Struggling with Projectile Motion Problems in Physics?

In summary, the first conversation discusses a firefighter using a hose to hit a building 50m away at a 30 degree angle with an initial speed of 40m/s. The correct height for the stream to hit the building is not achieved despite using the correct triangle formula. The second conversation involves a rifle shooting a bullet horizontally at a target 200m away with an initial speed of 500m/s. The bullet's strike point and the angle at which the rifle should be aimed to hit the target are unknown. The third conversation addresses the use of equations to calculate the time and position of the bullet's trajectory, with the quadratic equation being used to solve for the time variable.
HurricaneH
Help:(

1) A firefighter, 50m away froma building, directs a hose at an angle of 30*, if the initial speed of the stream is 40m/s, what height does it hit the building?

i'm guessing i make a triangle and solve for h

tan30= h/50, solve for h, i get 28 m

...but it's not the right answer, what am i doing wrong?

2) A rifle is aimed horizontally at the center of a large target 200m away. The initial speed of the bullet is 500m/s. A) Where does the bullet strike the target? B) What angle above the line of sight should the rifle be to hit the target?

I don't know what equation to use:(

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Why do you think the water will flow as a STRAIGHT line??
It does not; it follows the parabola given by ordinary projectile motion
2)Similarly here
3)Don't double post

ugh, should have been obvious:(

so i would have to find t, using the equation X=Xxo+Voxt+1/2axt*2

50=40t + 4.9t^2

solve for t using the quadratic equation

then plug in t into Y=Yyo+ Voyt+1/2ayt^2

Yyo= o
Voy=20
a= 9.81

Last edited:

Related to Why Am I Struggling with Projectile Motion Problems in Physics?

1. What is the purpose of a firefighter hose?

The purpose of a firefighter hose is to deliver a steady stream of water or other extinguishing agent from a water source to the location of a fire. This allows firefighters to quickly and effectively extinguish fires and protect lives and property.

2. How does the length of a firefighter hose affect its performance?

The length of a firefighter hose can affect its performance in several ways. A longer hose will have more frictional losses, which can decrease the pressure and flow rate of the water. However, a longer hose also allows firefighters to reach fires that are farther away.

3. What is the impact of the diameter of a firefighter hose on its effectiveness?

The diameter of a firefighter hose can greatly impact its effectiveness. A larger diameter hose will have less frictional losses and therefore maintain a higher pressure and flow rate. This allows for a more powerful stream of water, which can be crucial in extinguishing larger fires.

4. How do firefighters calculate the pressure and flow rate of a hose?

Firefighters use a variety of tools and formulas to calculate the pressure and flow rate of a hose. These can include flow meters, pressure gauges, and calculations based on the diameter and length of the hose, as well as the flow of the water source.

5. Are there any safety precautions that firefighters must take when using a hose?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that firefighters must take when using a hose. These include wearing appropriate protective gear, maintaining a safe distance from the fire, and ensuring that the hose is properly connected and secured to the water source. Proper training and communication among firefighters is also crucial for safe and effective use of a hose.