Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Firing Solution - Projectile Motion

1. Oct 18, 2006 #1
    This is problem that has been bugging me for the last few days and I fear I don't know the math to figure it out. (As is no education above geometry and a very basic introduction to trigonometry.)

I do 3D modeling and animation.

Assume this takes place in, say, a sci-fi space battle where there is no gravity or any resistance.

Within this scene are three things: a turret on a ship, a target, and a null (basically a single point that can be moved around and do other things).

The turret automatic points itself at the null.

I would like to apply an equation to this null that will move it to the point where it thinks the turret would need to fire in order to hit the target.

This would need to take into account the velocity of the target, the velocity the turret, and the speed at which the projectile travels.

Again, assume no competency in physics what so ever.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2006 #2
    I think you are asking how to figure out how much the turret should lead the target, assuming they are traveling in different directions. Is that right?
  4. Oct 18, 2006 #3
    Yes. Perhaps a picture might help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?