Firing Solution - Projectile Motion

In summary, the problem at hand is how to figure out how much the turret should lead the target in a sci-fi space battle scenario with no gravity or resistance. The turret automatically points itself at a null point, and an equation is needed to move the null to the point where the turret would need to fire in order to hit the target. This equation would need to take into account the velocities of the target and turret, as well as the speed of the projectile. The person asking the question has no education beyond geometry and a basic introduction to trigonometry, and no competency in physics. A picture has been provided for further clarification.
jtdoepke
This is problem that has been bugging me for the last few days and I fear I don't know the math to figure it out. (As is no education above geometry and a very basic introduction to trigonometry.)

I do 3D modeling and animation.

Assume this takes place in, say, a sci-fi space battle where there is no gravity or any resistance.

Within this scene are three things: a turret on a ship, a target, and a null (basically a single point that can be moved around and do other things).

The turret automatic points itself at the null.

I would like to apply an equation to this null that will move it to the point where it thinks the turret would need to fire in order to hit the target.

This would need to take into account the velocity of the target, the velocity the turret, and the speed at which the projectile travels.

Again, assume no competency in physics what so ever.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are asking how to figure out how much the turret should lead the target, assuming they are traveling in different directions. Is that right?

Yes. Perhaps a picture might help.

http://www.doepkeonline.com/NullTarget.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a firing solution in projectile motion?

A firing solution in projectile motion refers to the calculation of the initial velocity and angle needed to launch a projectile at a specific target. It takes into account factors such as the force of gravity, air resistance, and the distance to the target.

2. How is a firing solution calculated?

A firing solution is calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the effects of gravity and air resistance. These equations can be solved using numerical methods or through trial and error.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of a firing solution?

The accuracy of a firing solution can be affected by factors such as air resistance, wind speed and direction, the shape and weight of the projectile, and the precision of the initial measurements of the target and launch parameters.

4. Can a firing solution be used for any type of projectile?

Yes, a firing solution can be used for any type of projectile as long as the initial conditions and forces acting on the projectile are known. However, the accuracy of the firing solution may vary depending on the specific characteristics of the projectile.

5. How can a firing solution be applied in real-world situations?

A firing solution can be applied in real-world situations such as military operations, sports such as archery and shooting, and engineering projects involving the trajectory of objects. It can also be used in simulations and calculations for space exploration and other scientific fields.