How do I find the integrating factor for solving this differential equation?

In summary, the given conversation discusses finding the general solution for an equation involving y and t. The attempt at a solution involves attempting to integrate both sides, but the equation is not separable. The solution suggests using an integrating factor to solve the equation.
TG3

Homework Statement

Find the general solution for y' +3y = t + e^(-2t) for y.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought that since the equation was already separated, I could simply integrate both sides and get a solution easily:

That results in 1.5 y^2 + y = .5t^2 - .5e^(-2t)
(Unless I made a simple error, which is quite possible.)

However, I quickly realized that this is not the approach to take, since it still contains multiple powers of y.

So, I suspect that I will need to find an integrating factor to multiply by, (commonly called mu, I believe) but I'm not sure how you're supposed to find that.

Physics news on Phys.org
For an equation

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}+P(t)y=Q(t)[/tex]

an integrating factor u is given by u=e∫P(t) dt

TG3 said:

Homework Statement

Find the general solution for y' +3y = t + e^(-2t) for y.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought that since the equation was already separated, I could simply integrate both sides and get a solution easily:
It might look separated to the most casual observer, but it's not, and further, it's not separable. You have
dy/dt + 3y = t + e-3t

As it sits, there's no way to get all of the terms involving y and dy on one side, and the other terms involving t and dt on the other side. An integrating factor, as rock.freak667 suggested, is the way to go.

Related to How do I find the integrating factor for solving this differential equation?

What is a first differential equation?

A first differential equation is a mathematical expression that relates an unknown function to its first derivative. It is an equation that describes how the rate of change of a variable depends on the value of that variable.

What are the applications of first differential equations?

First differential equations are used to model various natural phenomena in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are also used in economics, finance, and population studies to describe the behavior of systems over time.

How do you solve a first differential equation?

The general process for solving a first differential equation involves finding an expression for the unknown function by integrating the equation and applying initial conditions. This can be done analytically or numerically using various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and Euler's method.

What is the difference between first and second differential equations?

The main difference between first and second differential equations is the number of derivatives involved. A first differential equation has one derivative, while a second differential equation has two derivatives. This leads to different solutions and methods for solving the equations.

Can first differential equations be solved for any function?

No, not all first differential equations have a closed-form solution. Some equations can only be solved numerically or approximated using series expansions. The existence and uniqueness of solutions also depend on the initial conditions and the properties of the equation.