First Oder Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation subject to a given initial condition. The equation involves terms that are homogeneous of degree 1 and the individual is struggling to solve it. They mention using the Latex programming language and suggest making a substitution to help solve the problem.
ambanks04

Homework Statement

Solve the DE subject to y(1)=0. Forconvenience let k=v_r/v_s.

First let me apologize for the way it is written but I don't know how to use software like other on other posts I see.

Homework Equations

(dy/dx)= (v_s*y - v_r*sqrt(x^2+y^2)) / (v_s*x)

this may be more visual

dy v_s*y - v_r*sqrt(x^2+y2)
--=--------------------------
dx v_s*x

The Attempt at a Solution

I have about ten steps where I try to solve this problem. It is from the textbook :A First Course in Differential Equations" by Dennis Zill in section 3.2 #27. I think it is a seperable equation but I cannot get it to a form where I can solve the intial value problem. It is a horrible feeling to be stuck on the algebra of all things. Help is appreiciated. I need to learn how to do this so I can pass the midterm.

Physics news on Phys.org
ambanks04 said:

Homework Equations

(dy/dx)= (v_s*y - v_r*sqrt(x^2+y^2)) / (v_s*x)

Keep in mind the term:

[tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

is homogeneous of degree 1. The other terms are also homogeneous of degree 1. Also, we use the Latex programming language to format math. You can press the Quote button to see the various constructs enclosed in tex brackets.

So you have a differential equation of the form:
[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{ay-b\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}{ay}
[/tex]
I would think about making the substitution:
[tex]
y(x)=xv(x)
[/tex]
and see where that leads you.

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivative. It involves the first derivative of the function and can be solved to find the function itself.

2. What are some real-life applications of first order differential equations?

First order differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model real-world phenomena such as population growth, electric circuits, and chemical reactions.

3. How do you solve a first order differential equation?

There are several methods for solving first order differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and the method of undetermined coefficients. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation.

4. What does the solution to a first order differential equation represent?

The solution to a first order differential equation represents the function that satisfies the given equation and its initial conditions. It can be thought of as the behavior or evolution of a system over time.

5. What is the difference between a first order and a higher order differential equation?

A first order differential equation involves the first derivative of a function, while a higher order differential equation involves higher derivatives. First order equations are generally easier to solve and only require one initial condition, while higher order equations require more initial conditions.