First timer at physics needs help

In summary, the conversion from 6.21x10^3 kg/m^3 to slugs/gal can be done by dividing 6.21x10^3 by 264.172052358 to get 23.505 slug/gal.
natpac82

Homework Statement

3 3
6.21x10 kg/m converted to slugs/gal

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to begin to attempt this. I am having a lot of trouble with conversions. Please help. I have never taken physics before. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you want to convert kg/m3 right?

Well 1 kg is how many slugs?

How many m3 are in a gal?

natpac82 said:

Homework Statement

3 3
6.21x10 kg/m converted to slugs/gal

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to begin to attempt this. I am having a lot of trouble with conversions. Please help. I have never taken physics before. Thank you

1 kg=0.068521 slug
1 gal =0.003785 m^3

(6.21*10^3) kg /m^3= (6.21*10^3) *(0.068521)*0.003785 slug/gal

inky said:
1 kg=0.068521 slug
1 gal =0.003785 m^3

(6.21*10^3) kg /m^3= (6.21*10^3) *(0.068521)*0.003785 slug/gal

right so 1 kg=0.068521 slug and 1m3 = 264.172052358. You are converting 1 kg/ 1 m3. So you are correct in what you are doing, but you need to divide, not multiply.

for reaching out for help with your physics homework. Conversions can definitely be tricky, but with some practice and understanding of the units involved, you will be able to successfully complete this problem. To start, let's break down the given units and see what we are trying to convert.

6.21x10^3 kg/m is a unit of density, specifically kilograms per cubic meter. This tells us how much mass is contained within a given volume.

To convert this to slugs/gal, we need to first understand what slugs and gallons represent. Slugs are a unit of mass, and gallons are a unit of volume. So we are essentially converting from a density unit to a mass/volume unit.

To do this, we will need to use the conversion factor for density, which is mass/volume. In this case, we can use the conversion factor of 1 kg/m^3 = 0.00194032 slugs/gal.

Now we can set up our conversion equation as follows:

6.21x10^3 kg/m^3 x (0.00194032 slugs/gal) = 1.20552 slugs/gal

This means that 6.21x10^3 kg/m^3 is equivalent to 1.20552 slugs/gal.

I hope this helps you understand how to approach this type of conversion problem. Remember to always pay attention to the units and use the appropriate conversion factors. Good luck with your physics studies!

1. What is the best way to approach learning physics for the first time?

The best way to approach learning physics for the first time is to start with the basics. Make sure you have a good understanding of algebra and trigonometry before diving into more complex physics concepts. It's also helpful to read through your textbook or lecture notes before class to familiarize yourself with the material.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Problem-solving skills in physics can be improved by practicing regularly. Start with simple problems and work your way up to more challenging ones. It's also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps and to use diagrams or visual aids to better understand the problem.

3. What resources are available for first-time physics learners?

There are many resources available for first-time physics learners, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. You can also ask your teacher or professor for extra help or clarification on difficult concepts. Additionally, there are many physics-related websites and forums where you can ask questions and get help from other students and experts.

4. How important is it to understand the fundamentals of physics?

Understanding the fundamentals of physics is crucial for building a strong foundation for more advanced concepts. Many complex physics principles are built upon basic principles, so it's important to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals in order to grasp more complex topics. It will also make problem-solving and applying physics concepts easier if you have a strong grasp on the fundamentals.

5. What are some common mistakes that first-time physics learners make?

Some common mistakes that first-time physics learners make include not practicing enough, not asking for help when needed, and not fully understanding the underlying principles behind a problem. It's also important to avoid relying too heavily on memorization and to instead focus on understanding the concepts and how to apply them to different problems.