1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flame temperature based on colour

1. May 22, 2010 #1
    So I've been wondering, is it possible to determine how hot a flame is based on the colour? I know that you can classify it into general groups (yellow ~= 1000*C, etc.), but is there any way to get a more accurate temperature estimation? Any papers on this?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2
    You'd need a device to very accurately measure the wavelengths, but I cant think of anything stopping you.

However I feel like there are more accurate and easy ways to measure temperature. Generally speaking I think it's more common to use color to analyze temperature distributions of a specific object.
  4. May 23, 2010 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

I think you need to be more quantitative - i.e. measuring the continuum wavelength distribution and fitting it. Otherwise you can be fooled by emission lines - put a tiny bit of a sodium salt in a blue flame and it turns yellow.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook