What colors do ions of various elements produce in a flame test?

• Thread starter 312213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab Test
In summary, the conversation discusses conducting a flame test to determine the before and after colors of ions for various elements. The speaker has found data online but is unsure of its accuracy. They provide a list of observations for different elements and express a desire for verification. They clarify that "before" refers to the color of the ion in the solution before it is put into the flame.

Homework Statement

Checking the before and after of ions of various elements for the flame test.

Homework Equations

None really.

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked online for the elements but am not sure the data is correct/accurate enough.
So far I have:
Ion-Before-After
Aluminum-Grey/clear-No color, more or less, or white
Ammonium-White cloud/Clear-No color
Barium-Silver/White cloud-Green (apple green)
Calcium-Clear/Silver/White cloud-Brick red/orange/yellow-orange
Cobalt (II)-Red-Pink/Blue
Copper (II)-Turquoise-Blue/Turquoise
Iron (III)-Orange-brown/Yellow/Pale purple-Gold
Lithium-Clear-Crimson red
Manganese (II)-Slightly brown-Yellowish green/silver/no color
Potassium-Clear-Violet/Purple
Sodium-Clear-Yellow/Yellow-orange
Zinc-Clear/Slightly brown-Bluish green

I would like the data to be verified, or at least part of it, particularly the before colors that are white/clear

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "before" - color of the ion in the solution?

Yes before is the color of the ion. It would be how the liquid looks before put into the flame. The colors for before, for most of them, the color that I observed of the liquids, but I'm not sure they are described accurately enough.

What is a flame test lab and how does it work?

A flame test lab is a scientific experiment used to identify the presence of certain elements in a substance. It involves heating a sample of the substance in a flame and observing the color of the flame. Each element produces a unique color when heated, allowing for identification.

What are the main colors produced in a flame test lab?

The main colors produced in a flame test lab are red, orange, yellow, green, and blue. These colors correspond to different elements, such as lithium (red), sodium (orange), potassium (yellow), copper (green), and calcium (blue).

Why do different elements produce different colors in a flame test lab?

Each element has a unique atomic structure, which determines the energy levels of its electrons. When heated, these electrons become excited and jump to higher energy levels. As they return to their ground state, they release energy in the form of light, which is perceived as a specific color depending on the element.

What are the limitations of using a flame test lab for element identification?

Flame test labs can only detect the presence of certain elements that produce distinct colors when heated. It is not a definitive method of identification and cannot differentiate between compounds containing the same element.

How can flame test lab results be used in real-world applications?

Flame test lab results can be used in various industries, such as forensic science, environmental testing, and the production of fireworks and pyrotechnics. It can also be helpful in identifying the composition of unknown substances and determining the purity of certain chemicals.