1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'flat' field spectrograph and optcs focusing

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    why call 'flat' field spectrograph ? what does the meaning of 'flat'. another question: if I what to focus the ray from a point source, how to do it?
    anything help would be highly aprreciated.
    best wishes and thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Flat-field spectrographs are so-named because the 'image' plane (the surface conjugate to the entrance slit) is flat, or nearly flat, enabling use of a flat detector array. Recall, spectrographs generally use concave gratings (that is, a reflective grating in the shape of a concave spherical surface) to reduce the number of optical elements required to image the spectrum. Concave gratings suffer from large amounts of astigmatism and coma. By modifying the groove shape, aberrations are reduced.

I don't understand your second question: you cannot focus a single ray.

4. Sep 27, 2013 #3
    THANK your for your answer! IF I use flat gratings and concave mirror,does this suffer from large amounts of astigmatism and coma? which is better between concave gratings. and how to modify the
    groove shape, what kind of shape is better? THANK YOU again!
    best wishes!

5. Sep 30, 2013 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There is no single optimal solution to your question. I recommend reading the 'Diffraction Grating Handbook', freely available online, for a complete discussion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook