Can Modifying the Flexiforce Drive Circuit Enhance Sensor Performance?

In summary, the conversation is about the Flexiforce drive circuit and whether it can be improved in terms of linearity, hysteresis, repeatability, or other parameters by changing it to a Wheatstone bridge or instrumentation amplifier. The speaker obtained the circuit from the Flexiforce data-sheet and is questioning the recommended excitation circuit. They also ask about the I/O characteristics of the opamp used in the circuit.
prescott2006
Attached is the Flexiforce drive circuit. I would like to ask whether I can improve improve the performance of Flexiforce in term of linearity, hysteresis, repeatability, or whatsoever other parameter by change the drive circuit to Wheatstone bridge or instrumentation amplifier?

Attachments

• flexi-circuit-new.jpg
    flexi-circuit-new.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 429
Engineering news on Phys.org
prescott2006 said:
Attached is the Flexiforce drive circuit. I would like to ask whether I can improve improve the performance of Flexiforce in term of linearity, hysteresis, repeatability, or whatsoever other parameter by change the drive circuit to Wheatstone bridge or instrumentation amplifier?

Where did you get that circuit from? A couple things look weird about it, obviously. What are the I/O characteristics of that opamp?

berkeman said:
Where did you get that circuit from? A couple things look weird about it, obviously. What are the I/O characteristics of that opamp?

I get it from Flexiforce data-sheet, that is their recommended excitation circuit. What are the things that look weird? What do you mean by I/O characteristic of the opamp?

1. What is a Flexiforce Drive Circuit?

A Flexiforce Drive Circuit is a type of electronic circuit that is designed to control and regulate the operation of a Flexiforce sensor. The Flexiforce sensor is a type of force-sensitive resistor that can detect and measure the amount of force applied to it.

2. How does a Flexiforce Drive Circuit work?

A Flexiforce Drive Circuit works by using a voltage divider circuit to measure the resistance of the Flexiforce sensor. When a force is applied to the sensor, its resistance changes, which in turn changes the voltage output of the circuit. This change in voltage can be used to control other electronic components or systems.

3. What are the main components of a Flexiforce Drive Circuit?

The main components of a Flexiforce Drive Circuit include a Flexiforce sensor, a voltage divider circuit, an amplifier, and a microcontroller or other control device. The Flexiforce sensor is used to detect the force, while the voltage divider circuit and amplifier are used to measure and amplify the signal. The microcontroller or control device is used to process the signal and control other components.

4. What are the applications of Flexiforce Drive Circuits?

Flexiforce Drive Circuits have a wide range of applications, including force and pressure sensing in medical devices, robotics, automotive systems, and consumer electronics. They can also be used in industrial settings for process control and monitoring.

5. Is a Flexiforce Drive Circuit difficult to design and implement?

The complexity of designing and implementing a Flexiforce Drive Circuit depends on the specific application and the level of expertise of the designer. However, there are many resources and tutorials available online that can help guide the design process. With some knowledge and experience in electronics, it is possible to design and implement a Flexiforce Drive Circuit successfully.