Flexural Waves: Kelvin-Voigt Solid Questions

• Thread starter psv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary: So, in summary, flexural waves are governed by a fourth-order different equation than the second-order wave equation usually considered. This allows for higher order solutions, which can have different physical manifestations.
psv
Whenever I've seen solutions to elastic or viscoelastic stress strain relations and resulting wave equations, the solutions are only acoustic, shear, love, reyleigh waves etc. Recently I saw that flexural waves are governed not by the 2nd order wave equation I'm used to seeing, but by a 4th order different one derived from bending moments. So my question then is when you say that some object is a kelvin-voigt solid and assume the corresponding continumm mechanics equations, are flexural waves a solution or do they need to be considerred somewhat seperatly?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you assume a non-linear restoring force, then this permits higher order solutions to the wave equation.

Claude.

Do you, or anyone else happen to know any good links or books/papers concerning this, my searches have so far come up with little.

Thnx

Sorry to be off topic here, what is this about? Is this for an advanced material science class? Is it theory of elasticity?

psv said:
Do you, or anyone else happen to know any good links or books/papers concerning this, my searches have so far come up with little.

Thnx

Do you have access to research journals?

Claude.

Sorry if bumping such an old thread is bad manners,and that I took so long to reply, but I recently got back to wondering about this.

cyrusabdollahi: no, this was just my own interest mostly, although since I should know more about elasticity maybe you could say that area :smile:

Claude: yes, I have access to journals and books, and I was mostly interested in anything where it is put in terms as plain as you did about higher order solutions resulting from non-linear restoring forces. Sorry I didn't mean for people to go do journal searches for me, I was just hoping someone might know a better book. I looked in some classic engineering books by timoshenko and fung, but they seemed to present there elastic equations and those governing flexure seperatly.

I guess my main confusion lies in the the fact that I usually think forces, u, v in a continuum as linear, so bending moments sort of throw me for a loop when I am trying to tie everything together. (there has to be a pun in there)

The non-linear restoring force is usually experessed as a polynomial of some description. Since the wave equation is linear, you can solve each term in the polynomial separately - this is why some solutions are labelled 'second-order' or 'fourth-order', for example, because those solutions correspond to the inclusion of the second and fourth terms in the polynomial.

Textbooks solve each part separately because it is much simpler (and far less confusing) than tackling the whole solution at once. In addition, each set of solutions (first, second, third order etc) often have a distinct physical manifestation, so it is advantageous to obtain an distinct, separate equation for each physical effect, rather than have them all conglomerated into one super-equation.

Claude.

1. What are flexural waves?

Flexural waves, also known as bending waves, are a type of mechanical wave that travel through a medium by causing it to bend or flex. They are commonly observed in thin plates, beams, and membranes.

2. What is a Kelvin-Voigt solid?

A Kelvin-Voigt solid is a viscoelastic material model that describes the behavior of a solid material under the influence of both elastic and viscous forces. It is commonly used to model the behavior of flexural waves in materials such as polymers and biological tissues.

3. How do flexural waves propagate in a Kelvin-Voigt solid?

In a Kelvin-Voigt solid, flexural waves propagate through a combination of bending and shearing motions. The bending motion is described by the elastic component of the material, while the shearing motion is caused by the viscous component. This combination of motions allows flexural waves to propagate with a characteristic velocity and attenuation.

4. What factors affect the propagation of flexural waves in a Kelvin-Voigt solid?

The propagation of flexural waves in a Kelvin-Voigt solid is affected by several factors, including the material properties (such as elasticity and viscosity), the geometry of the medium (such as thickness and boundary conditions), and the frequency of the wave. These factors can influence the velocity, amplitude, and attenuation of flexural waves.

5. How are Kelvin-Voigt solids and flexural waves used in scientific research?

Kelvin-Voigt solids and flexural waves have many applications in scientific research, particularly in the fields of materials science, biomechanics, and acoustics. They are used to study the mechanical properties of various materials, to understand the behavior of biological tissues, and to develop new technologies for sensing and imaging. Additionally, the study of flexural waves in Kelvin-Voigt solids can provide insights into the fundamental principles of wave propagation in complex materials.