What is the flow rate in an open-ended pipe with increasing gauge pressure?

• Thread starter agondouin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Pipe
In summary: The flow through the pipe will be greater with a bigger pump because the pump will be able to increase the pressure in the pipe. When you use a pump to increase the pressure, the pressure is always greater at the point where the pump is located. When you use a smaller pump, the pressure at the point of the pump is the same as the atmospheric pressure. When you use a bigger pump, the pressure at the point of the pump is greater than the atmospheric pressure.
agondouin
This is not a homework problem but I'm going to try and present it like one.

1. Water is flowing through a horizontal, open-ended pipe, of constant diameter. A pump is mounted upstream and the water flows through the pipe. The pump supplies a gauge pressure of 20 psi and the flow rate is 8 gpm. A larger pump is used to increase the gauge pressure to 80 psi. What is the flow rate?

2. I tried to use Bernoulli's equation: P/rho + 1/2*v2 + gz = constant

3. I tried to apply Bernoulli's equation to two points in the pipe, after the pump and at the pipe outlet. P1 is the upstream pressure with the small pump. P2 is the upstream pressure with the big pump, and Pe is the pressure at the pipe exit. I think Pe is atmospheric pressure.

I get: P1-Pe = rho(ve2-v12), and P2-Pe = rho(ve2-v22)

Then I tried dividing these two. So I got:
Pgauge 1/Pgauge 2 = (ve2-v12)/(ve2-v12)

I'm not sure what to do after this, or if I've done this right so far.I must be missing something. Any help is greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi agondouin! welcome to pf! :smile:

i think you can asume that v1 = v2 = 0

also, gauge pressure = pressure minus atmospheric pressure, so Pe = 0 :wink:

Thanks Tim!

If I assume that V1 and V2 are both zero, I can simplify and get V2e = V1e * sqrt(P2/P1). If I plug in the numbers from my example, then I get a flow rate of 16 gpm for the larger pump.

It makes sense that the flow should ge greater with a bigger pump. What I don't understand is why the flow is zero after the pump. I thought that conservation of mass meant that the flow rate through the entire pipe had to be constant, so that the flow can't be zero anywhere and still have water coming out. Can you explain why we can set V1 and V2 zero? :smile:

1. What is the definition of flow in an open ended pipe?

Flow in an open ended pipe is the movement of a fluid, such as water or gas, through a pipe or channel that has an opening at both ends.

2. How is the flow rate in an open ended pipe calculated?

The flow rate in an open ended pipe is calculated by dividing the volume of fluid that passes through the pipe per unit of time, also known as flow rate, by the cross-sectional area of the pipe.

3. What factors affect the flow in an open ended pipe?

The flow in an open ended pipe can be affected by several factors including the diameter of the pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe.

4. How does the flow in an open ended pipe differ from a closed ended pipe?

The flow in an open ended pipe is characterized by the fluid entering and exiting the pipe freely, while a closed ended pipe has only one opening and the fluid must flow out of the pipe against pressure. This results in a different flow rate and pressure distribution.

5. What are some applications of flow in an open ended pipe in engineering?

Flow in an open ended pipe is commonly used in various engineering applications such as irrigation systems, drainage systems, and ventilation systems. It is also utilized in industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and water treatment.