Calculating Flow Speed & Pressure Difference in a Horizontal Pipe

In summary, the horizontal pipe has a cross-sectional area of 40.0 cm^2 at the wider portions and at the constriction. The water flow rate is 6.0 x 10^-3 m^3/s (6.0 L/s). To find the flow speed, the equation v = (flow rate)/(area) can be used. The flow speed at the wider portion is 1.50 x 10^-3 m/s. The flow speed at the narrow portion can be found in the same way. The pressure difference between the two portions is 1.69 x 10^4 Pa and the difference in height between the mercury columns in the U-shaped tube is 12.7 cm. To find
MAPgirl23
The horizontal pipe has a cross-sectional area of 40.0 cm^2 at the wider portions and at the constriction. Water is flowing in the pipe, and the discharge from the pipe is 6.0 x 10^-3 m^3/s (6.0 L/s).

a) Find the flow speed at the wide portion.
b) Find the flow speed at the narrow portion.

c) What is the pressure difference between these portions? 1.69×104 Pa
d) What is the difference in height between the mercury columns in the U-shaped tube? 12.7 cm

How do I find a and b knowing c and d?

** So far I now:
v1A1 = v2A2
v2 = A1/A2 x v1
By applying the principle of conservation of energy:
p +(0.5*rho*v1^2) + rho*g*y1 = p + (0.5*rho*v2^2) + rho*g*y2

Physics news on Phys.org
MAPgirl23 said:
The horizontal pipe has a cross-sectional area of 40.0 cm^2 at the wider portions and at the constriction.
How can the pipe have the same cross sectional area at the constriction and the wide portions? Where is the constriction? In the middle of the pipe? At the end of the pipe?

http://mb.sparknotes.com/mb.epl?b=113&m=1067136&t=306821&w=1

Last edited by a moderator:
MAPgirl23 said:
How do I find a and b knowing c and d?

** So far I now:
v1A1 = v2A2
v2 = A1/A2 x v1
You find a and b before knowing c and d. The volume flow rate is given, as well as the areas of the two pipe sections (at least they are given in your diagram).

for part a) v2 = 6.0x10^-3 * (10 cm^3 / 40 cm^3) = 1.50x10^-3 which was wrong

MAPgirl23 said:
for part a) v2 = 6.0x10^-3 * (10 cm^3 / 40 cm^3) = 1.50x10^-3 which was wrong
I'm not sure what you are doing.

Try this: The flow rate (which is given) = V x Area. So, V = (flow rate)/Area. (Be sure to use proper units.)

I converted 10 cm^3 = 1.0 x 10^-5 m^3 and 40 cm^3 = 4.0 x 10^-5 m^3

v = 6.0 x 10^-3 * (1.0x10^-5/4.0x10^-5) = 1.50x10^-3 m/s ?

MAPgirl23 said:
I converted 10 cm^3 = 1.0 x 10^-5 m^3 and 40 cm^3 = 4.0 x 10^-5 m^3
Good.

v = 6.0 x 10^-3 * (1.0x10^-5/4.0x10^-5) = 1.50x10^-3 m/s ?
Not good.

Why are you taking the ratio of the two areas? Realize that the flow rate has units of volume/sec, while speed has units of distance/sec. So, if you checked your units (always a good idea) you would see that this equation cannot hold.

See my last post for an equation for speed (V) in terms of flow rate and area.

1. What is the equation used to calculate flow speed in a horizontal pipe?

The equation used to calculate flow speed in a horizontal pipe is known as the Bernoulli's equation. It states that the sum of pressure, kinetic energy, and potential energy per unit volume of a fluid remains constant along a streamline.

2. How is the pressure difference between two points in a horizontal pipe calculated?

The pressure difference between two points in a horizontal pipe can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the change in elevation, velocity, and pressure between the two points.

3. What factors affect the flow speed and pressure difference in a horizontal pipe?

The flow speed and pressure difference in a horizontal pipe can be affected by various factors such as the diameter of the pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, the length of the pipe, and the roughness of the pipe walls.

4. How does the flow rate in a horizontal pipe affect the pressure difference?

The flow rate in a horizontal pipe is directly proportional to the pressure difference between two points. This means that an increase in flow rate will result in a higher pressure difference and vice versa.

5. Can the flow speed and pressure difference in a horizontal pipe be manipulated?

Yes, the flow speed and pressure difference in a horizontal pipe can be manipulated by changing the diameter of the pipe, using different types of fluids, or adjusting the flow rate through the pipe.