Is There an Error in My Bernoulli's Equation Application for Fluid Dynamics?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the application of Bernoulli's equation to determine the velocity V2 at the upper section and V3 at the lower section. The initial calculation for V2 is 10.20 m/s, which is listed as an answer. However, when moving on to part B, the calculated V3 is 8.71 m/s, which does not appear on the answer sheet. The questioner is unsure if Bernoulli's equation was applied correctly and is seeking confirmation. The responder states that there is no contradiction and suggests using the length of the bottom pipe to solve for V3 and p3 using Bernoulli's equation and mass flow conservation.
rambo5330
attached is the problem. I use bernoulli's equation along a "streamline" from the inlet at point 1 to outlet at point 2. I do this to obtain the velocity V2. After working through it (simple algebra) I end up with 10.20 m/s ...seems right to me... however upon doing a conservation of mass analyses afterwards to get V3... I am getting 8.71 m/s this is nowhere on the multiple choice solution. This prof has been really really good at making sure the numbers are correct with very little round off error in the multiple choice options. It is possible that there is an error in the solutions but I think its more likely that I am doing something wrong.. Is it not correct to apply Bernoulli's equation to this example?

Thanks for any help! this is driving me crazy!

Attachments

• Problem1.jpg
    Problem1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
The question asks for the velocity at the upper section which you calculate as 10.2 m/sec.
It is listed in the answers.

ya sorry ..I phrased it poorly.

I This question is part A. I can calculate a velocity 10.2 m/s which does appear on the list yes.

However when I move to part B it wans to know what the velocity V3 of the lower section is.
I use conservation of mass to determine this and i get an answer of 8.71. Which does not appear on the sheet. The closest is 8.60.

So my question is, is it correct to apply Bernoulli's law to this problem, and can anyone else confirm an answer of 10.2? for V2?

Thank you!

No contradiction. If they had given you the length of the bottom pipe you could have written a bernoulli streamline equation for water running from A1 to A3. Combined with mass flow conservation (since you now know the mass flow at A1 and at A2) you could have solved for v3 and p3 also.

I would suggest double-checking your calculations and assumptions before assuming there is an error in the solutions. It is important to carefully follow the steps and equations in fluid dynamics problems, as even small errors can lead to significantly different results. It is also possible that there may be other factors or variables at play that could affect the outcome, so it is important to thoroughly analyze the problem and consider all possible factors. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or mentor for a second opinion or to discuss any potential errors or discrepancies. Remember to always approach scientific problems with a critical and analytical mindset, and don't hesitate to seek clarification or further guidance if needed. Good luck!

1. What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This means that faster-moving fluids have lower pressure, while slower-moving fluids have higher pressure.

2. How does Bernoulli's principle relate to fluid dynamics?

Bernoulli's principle is a fundamental concept in fluid dynamics, as it helps explain the relationship between fluid speed and pressure. This principle is used in various applications, such as aircraft design, hydraulic systems, and even in everyday objects like a spray bottle.

3. Can you give an example of Bernoulli's principle in action?

One example of Bernoulli's principle in action is the lift generated by an airplane wing. As air moves faster over the curved top of the wing, its pressure decreases, creating a higher pressure difference between the top and bottom of the wing. This pressure difference results in an upward force, lifting the plane off the ground.

4. Are there any exceptions to Bernoulli's principle?

While Bernoulli's principle is a useful concept in fluid dynamics, there are some exceptions to its application. For example, it does not take into account factors such as viscosity, turbulence, and compressibility, which can affect fluid behavior. In addition, Bernoulli's principle only applies to steady flow of an ideal fluid, meaning a fluid with no internal friction and a constant density.

5. How is Bernoulli's principle used in real-world applications?

Bernoulli's principle has numerous applications in engineering and science. It is used in the design of airfoils for aircraft and wind turbines, as well as in hydraulic systems for lifting and moving heavy objects. It is also used in the design of carburetors and atomizers, where the speed of a fluid is manipulated to produce a desired pressure and spray pattern.