Fluid Flow in a Pipe: G-Greater, L-Less, E-Equal

In summary: Doing so will only confuse them and discourage them from asking further questions.In summary, Stevebo provides helpful advice on helping others with homework and textbook exercises.
hellblazer970

Homework Statement

Use the picture as a guide. P is the pressure in the pipe, and vi is the speed of a non-viscous incompressible fluid at locations i = 1,2,3,4,5.(For each statement select G-Greater than, L-Less than, or E-Equal to).
prob07_Bernoulli.gif

A) P1 is ... P4
B) v1 is ... 2v3
C) P4 is ... P5
D) P1 is ... P2
E) v4 is ... v5
F) P3 is ... P4
G) v1 is ... v2

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's Equation p + .5ρv^2 + ρgy
Continuity Equation: A2*v2=A2*v2

The Attempt at a Solution

A) P1 < P4 because P1 has a higher velocity, so pressure must decrease to compensate.
B) v1 > 2v3, if the diameter is doubled, the velocity is quadrupled as per continuity equation
C) P4 > P5 due to gravity (ρgy)
D) P1 > P2 due to gravity
E) v4 > v5, if v4 has more pressure, it has higher velocity
F) P3 < P4 due to gravity
G) v1 > v2, since P1 has a higher pressure it has a higher velocity

Is my reasoning correct, or do I have something backwards? I guess my main confusion is what effect gravity has on velocity of flow?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those all look good to me except for E and G.

What does the Continuity Equation say about the velocities?

The answers to this question are as follows:

[Moderation Note: Complete solution removed. Hootenanny ]

stevebo

Last edited by a moderator:
Stevebo said:
The answers to this question are as follows:...

Stevebo,

Please don't give direct answers to questions, that doesn't help people learn!

Please read the section on "Homework Help" here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374
In particular:
On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

1. What is fluid flow in a pipe?

Fluid flow in a pipe refers to the movement of a liquid or gas through a closed conduit or pipe system. This flow can be influenced by various factors such as the type of fluid, pipe size, and pressure differentials.

2. How does flow rate affect fluid flow in a pipe?

The flow rate, or the volume of fluid passing through a pipe per unit time, can greatly impact the behavior of fluid flow in a pipe. A higher flow rate can result in turbulent flow, while a lower flow rate may lead to laminar flow.

3. What is the significance of G, L, and E in fluid flow in a pipe?

G, L, and E are commonly used symbols to represent the relationship between flow rate and fluid flow in a pipe. G stands for greater, L stands for less, and E stands for equal. These symbols are often used in equations and diagrams to indicate the direction of flow or the relationship between different variables.

4. How can the viscosity of a fluid affect fluid flow in a pipe?

The viscosity, or thickness, of a fluid can greatly impact its flow behavior in a pipe. More viscous fluids tend to have a lower flow rate and may experience more resistance when flowing through a pipe, resulting in a slower flow. On the other hand, less viscous fluids can flow more easily and have a higher flow rate.

5. What factors can influence the flow pattern in a pipe?

The flow pattern in a pipe can be influenced by various factors, including the type and properties of the fluid, pipe diameter, surface roughness, and flow velocity. Other external factors such as temperature and pressure differentials can also impact the flow pattern in a pipe.