Fluid flow out of a tank design

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a round tank with a specific diameter and height to hold 50 gallons of water and includes a hole with a tube for draining. The question is how to modify the inside of the tank to drain 35 gallons the fastest. Suggestions include using Bernoulli's equation and a vortex breaker, but questions arise about potential pressure and friction losses.
ssc351
Hi Everyone,

First time posting here...pretty cool forum. Anyway, here is what I am looking at in nonspecific terms.

I need to design a tank (non-specific aluminum material that is holding water at room temperature) that is approximately 2.5 feet (must be round) in diameter and 1.5 feet tall (holds about 50 gallons). There must be a hole in the bottom of the tank no bigger than 1.5 inches with a tube leading out of this hole that extends 1.25 inches below the bottom of the tank. The center of this hole must also be 7 inches in towards the center radius from the outside of the tank.

What is the fastest way to get 35 gallons out of this tank?

Should i put a tube with a chamfer on the side? A cone? A tube on the inside of the tank with a cone? Just a tube on the inside leading to the 1.5 inch hole with a chamfer?

Basically, in nonspecific number terms how would you modify the inside of this tank to get the water out as fast as possible?

Thanks for all the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, I guess I should add that the top is open to the atmosphere at say 1 atm. And for a few more specifics, say the tank at its highest point is 6 feet in the air and is dumping straight down onto the ground

Last edited:
in what ways are you allowed to modify the tank?

ssc351 said:
Hi Everyone,

First time posting here...pretty cool forum. Anyway, here is what I am looking at in nonspecific terms.

I need to design a tank (non-specific aluminum material that is holding water at room temperature) that is approximately 2.5 feet (must be round) in diameter and 1.5 feet tall (holds about 50 gallons). There must be a hole in the bottom of the tank no bigger than 1.5 inches with a tube leading out of this hole that extends 1.25 inches below the bottom of the tank. The center of this hole must also be 7 inches in towards the center radius from the outside of the tank.

What is the fastest way to get 35 gallons out of this tank?

Should i put a tube with a chamfer on the side? A cone? A tube on the inside of the tank with a cone? Just a tube on the inside leading to the 1.5 inch hole with a chamfer?

Basically, in nonspecific number terms how would you modify the inside of this tank to get the water out as fast as possible?

Thanks for all the help.

Run some calcs to determine which variables effect the flowrate using Bernoulli's equation (allow for friction losses as well with the Darcy-Weisbach equation). Typically, the outlet type with the lowest Cd will be the fastest.

Hope this helps.

CS

stewartcs said:
Run some calcs to determine which variables effect the flowrate using Bernoulli's equation (allow for friction losses as well with the Darcy-Weisbach equation). Typically, the outlet type with the lowest Cd will be the fastest.

Hope this helps.

CS

I guess I don't really know where to start since we I have a fair amount of options. Since the drain hole is off-center, isn't the water going to spin off center of the main tank? Meaning the spin will be oblong or some other weird shape? (Or will it look something like a tornado, where the at the top of the tank the spin is in the middle but at the bottom the spin is at the center of the drain hole?) So that is why I bring up the question of putting a cylinder of larger diameter on the inside of the tank that is over the drain hole. So maybe like 4 inches or something in diameter. Won't this get the fluid spinning faster more directly over the drain hole?

Also to answer an earlier question, I am pretty free to modify the inside of the tank. I can't move any holes or resize anything, but I can add stuff over the hole or add stuff to the tank, make some sort of cone shape over the hole, etc, etc.

ssc351 said:
I guess I don't really know where to start since we I have a fair amount of options. Since the drain hole is off-center, isn't the water going to spin off center of the main tank? Meaning the spin will be oblong or some other weird shape? (Or will it look something like a tornado, where the at the top of the tank the spin is in the middle but at the bottom the spin is at the center of the drain hole?) So that is why I bring up the question of putting a cylinder of larger diameter on the inside of the tank that is over the drain hole. So maybe like 4 inches or something in diameter. Won't this get the fluid spinning faster more directly over the drain hole?

Also to answer an earlier question, I am pretty free to modify the inside of the tank. I can't move any holes or resize anything, but I can add stuff over the hole or add stuff to the tank, make some sort of cone shape over the hole, etc, etc.

This link and the attachment should help you get started with the equations...

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/bernouilli-equation-d_183.html

You can use a vortex breaker over the hole. It's basically just a plate (or similar) with legs, kind of like a table, that disrupts the fluid flow and keeps a vortex from forming.

Hope that helps.

CS

Attachments

• Pipe-Flo Pro.pdf
    105 KB · Views: 331
Thanks for the info...I had never heard of a vortex breaker...looks interesting. I think this has brought more questions than answers, which isn't a bad thing :)

Anyway, after doing a bit of searching, it seems like there would be some sort of pressure loss and/or friction factor when the fluid flows through the breaker, no? AOr is the friction created by the spinning fluid out way the friction caused by the vortex breaker?

This brings me to my next question, if one could get the fluid spinning down the drain tube as fast as possible without getting a vortex to form would that be the fastest way to drain the tank?

Or should the fluid flow in a steady state line straight out the drain hole?

Lastly, after looking at the link you gave me, it assumes steady state flow. Can I not assume that since there is the possiblity of a vortex forming...and is there an equation to figure out at what height, pressure, time, etc that vortex does form?

ssc351 said:
Anyway, after doing a bit of searching, it seems like there would be some sort of pressure loss and/or friction factor when the fluid flows through the breaker, no? AOr is the friction created by the spinning fluid out way the friction caused by the vortex breaker?

Yes, there will be some friction and thus pressure loss as the fluid goes through the vortex breaker, but it will be negligible.

ssc351 said:
This brings me to my next question, if one could get the fluid spinning down the drain tube as fast as possible without getting a vortex to form would that be the fastest way to drain the tank?

Or should the fluid flow in a steady state line straight out the drain hole?

Since this is a gravity feed tank, it will drain really close to the predicted rate by using the previous equations. However, a vortex contains a lot of rotational energy that gets dissipated as heat due to the viscosity of the fluid. Theoretically, this would slow the flow-rate due to frictional losses and possibly vortex shedding.

ssc351 said:
Lastly, after looking at the link you gave me, it assumes steady state flow. Can I not assume that since there is the possiblity of a vortex forming...and is there an equation to figure out at what height, pressure, time, etc that vortex does form?

Yes there are ways to determine this, however, I don't know off of the top of my head. You should look through some online journals as this is a well researched area. Vortices are extremely complicated phenomenon. Sarpkaya is a relatively well known author on the subject.

Personally, I don't think it is worth the effort to try and model or determine where and if a vortex would occur. If you are worried that it will cause a problem in your system then just use a breaker. Typically one would use these in gas separators to prevent gas from becoming entrained in the liquid, not due to flow-rate problems (which should be negligible).

Hope that helps.

CS

So, one can safely assume the fluid will spin as it goes down the drain, due to any number of reasons...lots of which I have seen discussed on this forum. With that said, in your opinion, would it be better to put some sort of baffling in the tank to prevent the spinning of the water at all? Or just try to use a Vortex Breaker and be done with it...(also, will the vortex breaker stop the spinning of the draining fluid, or just stop a vortex from forming?)

ssc351 said:
So, one can safely assume the fluid will spin as it goes down the drain, due to any number of reasons...lots of which I have seen discussed on this forum. With that said, in your opinion, would it be better to put some sort of baffling in the tank to prevent the spinning of the water at all? Or just try to use a Vortex Breaker and be done with it...(also, will the vortex breaker stop the spinning of the draining fluid, or just stop a vortex from forming?)

I wouldn't use baffles, and I wouldn't be concerned about the fluid spinning. If you need a vortex breaker then you should use it, but like I said before, I've only used them in separators to prevent gas from becoming entrained in the liquid.

Hope that helps.

CS

1. How do you determine the flow rate out of a tank?

The flow rate out of a tank can be determined using Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the height of the tank, the pressure at the outlet, and the density of the fluid. It can also be calculated using the continuity equation, which states that the rate of flow out of the tank must equal the rate of flow into the tank.

2. What factors affect the flow rate out of a tank?

The flow rate out of a tank is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the outlet, the height of the tank, the viscosity of the fluid, and the level of turbulence in the tank. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of fluid being used can also impact the flow rate.

3. How can the flow rate out of a tank be optimized?

To optimize the flow rate out of a tank, the design of the outlet should be carefully considered. Increasing the size of the outlet, reducing any obstructions, and using a smooth, streamlined shape can all help to improve the flow rate. Additionally, maintaining a consistent level of fluid in the tank can also help to optimize the flow rate.

4. Can the flow rate out of a tank be controlled?

Yes, the flow rate out of a tank can be controlled by adjusting the size of the outlet or by using a valve to regulate the flow. The flow rate can also be controlled by changing the height of the tank or by altering the pressure at the outlet.

5. What are some common problems with fluid flow out of a tank design?

Some common problems with fluid flow out of a tank design include uneven flow, turbulence, and fluctuations in flow rate. These issues can be caused by improper outlet design, changes in fluid properties, or inadequate control measures. It is important to carefully consider all factors and conduct thorough testing to ensure optimal flow out of a tank.