Fluid Mechanics. Volume of a bubble.

In summary, the conversation is about a physics question involving a diver releasing bubbles at a depth of 50 meters and calculating the volume when the bubbles reach the surface. The question does not mention temperature, so the solution involves using the formula P1V1 = P2V2, where P1=6 atmospheres and P2=1 atmosphere. The volume at the surface is calculated to be 6cm^3.
tommooooooo_7
I was doing some online physics tests with my friend because we were bored and we both got stuck on this question, I was wondering if anyone might be able to help.

A diver at 50metres under the sea (1.02 density) releases bubbles 1cm^3 in volume. What will the volume be when the bubbles reach the surface?

(no temperature mentioned in the question)

Any help appreciated,
Many thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wouldn't this just be a simple case of P1V1 = P2V2, where 1 = the initial conditions, i.e. a volume of 1 and pressure of 6 atmospheres (one atmosphere for every ten metres of depth and an obvious additional atmosphere so we're working with the total pressure), and P2 = 1. Therefore I get V2 = 6.

FAQ: Fluid Mechanics. Volume of a bubble.

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids (liquids and gases) when they are in motion or at rest. It involves understanding the forces and motions of fluids, as well as their interactions with solid objects.

2. How is the volume of a bubble calculated?

The volume of a bubble can be calculated using the formula V = (4/3)πr^3, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the bubble. This formula is derived from the fact that a bubble is a sphere, and the volume of a sphere is given by (4/3)πr^3.

3. What factors can affect the volume of a bubble?

The volume of a bubble can be affected by several factors, including the surface tension of the liquid, the pressure of the surrounding environment, and the temperature of the liquid. These factors can all influence the size and shape of the bubble.

4. Why do bubbles in a liquid rise to the surface?

Bubbles in a liquid rise to the surface due to the gas inside the bubble being less dense than the surrounding liquid. This causes the bubble to experience buoyancy, or an upward force, which causes it to rise to the surface.

5. How does the volume of a bubble change as it rises to the surface?

The volume of a bubble decreases as it rises to the surface. This is due to the decrease in pressure as the bubble moves higher in the liquid, causing the gas inside to expand and the bubble to increase in size. However, as the bubble reaches the surface and is exposed to atmospheric pressure, it will revert back to its original volume.

Back