Checking Process: Solving Water Pump Problem

In summary, the question asks for the power delivered by a pump to water at an inlet pressure of -2.36 psi. The power delivered is a time rate input of energy, which can be calculated using the energy equation in rate form. For steady-state operation, there is no time rate of change of mass or energy, and assuming steady adiabatic flow, the term for heat transfer can be ignored. By substituting the equation for enthalpy, the calculations can be simplified. However, there were some mistakes in the initial calculations, which were corrected in subsequent work.
Jason03
I have completed the first part of the problem below. I am checking to make sure that I have the right thought process...

Also the next part of the question asks if the inlet pressure to the pump is -2.36 psi compute the power delivered by the pump to the water...How would I approach that?

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/jason03_2009/question.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The power delivered by the pump is a time rate input of energy. You can approach this by looking at the energy equation in rate form.
[tex]
\frac{d}{dt}\left[m\left(u + \frac{V^2}{2}+gz\right)\right]_V = \sum \dot{m}_{in} \left( h + gz + \frac{V^2}{2}\right)_{in} - \sum \dot{m}_{out} \left( h + gz + \frac{V^2}{2}\right)_{out} + \dot{W}_V - \dot{Q}_V [/tex]
Where the V subscript denotes over the control volume. For steady state operation, there can be no time rate of change of mass or energy, so the term on the left disappears. Also, for steady-state operation, you can assume steady adiabatic flow, so:
[tex] \dot{Q} = \frac{dQ}{dt} = 0 [/tex]
We can then substitute
[tex] h = u + P\nu[/tex]
into the equations. Assume that the change in internal energy is negligible and this should get you nearly there.

edit: They are hard to see, but make sure you notice that those are mass flows on the right-hand side.

Ok...I did some calculations below using the formulas from my textbook which makes it slighlty more simplified...but is my thought process ok?

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/jason03_2009/part2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of the checking process for solving a water pump problem?

The purpose of the checking process is to systematically identify and diagnose any issues with the water pump in order to determine the root cause of the problem and develop a solution.

2. What are the steps involved in the checking process for solving a water pump problem?

The steps involved in the checking process may vary depending on the specific problem, but generally include visually inspecting the pump, testing its functionality, checking for any leaks or blockages, and examining related components such as pipes and valves.

3. How long does the checking process typically take?

The length of the checking process can vary depending on the complexity of the problem and the condition of the water pump. It could take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

4. What tools or equipment are needed for the checking process?

The tools needed for the checking process may include a flashlight, wrenches, screwdrivers, pressure gauge, and a multimeter. It is important to have the necessary tools on hand before starting the process.

5. What are some common issues that can be identified through the checking process for a water pump problem?

Some common issues that can be identified through the checking process include a clogged intake filter, broken or worn out seals, faulty wiring, or a damaged impeller. These issues can affect the pump's performance and cause it to malfunction.