Is my Free Body Diagram and Approach Correct for Finding Vertical Force on Tank?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Jason03
Messages
161
Reaction score
0
Im working on the problem below and trying to figure out if I have the right approach. I am checing to see if my free body diagram is correct. Also if finding the vertical force exerted on the bottom of the tank is just the differenence of the buoyant force and wieght of the cylinder as showin in my work. thanks

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/jason03_2009/hw11.jpg

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/jason03_2009/hw12.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
would I need to take into consideration the depth of the water?...or just the weight of the cylinder and the buoyant force?
 
Hi Jason,
Your calculations look fine. In calculating the buoyant force, the depth of the water isn't a consideration. Archimedes principal looks only at the weight of the fluid displaced by the solid object, not the pressure of the fluid.