Solving Pressure: A & B in Horizontal Glass Tube

In summary, a glass tube with varying cross-sectional areas (A, B, and C) is used to push mercury through by a piston open to the atmosphere. The mercury has a velocity of 8.0 m/s at area C. To calculate the total pressure at point A, the velocity of mercury through area A is found to be 4 m/s. The total pressure at point B is calculated using Bernoulli's equation and found to be 1.042 * 10^5 Pa. The assumption that the total pressure at point A is just atmospheric pressure is incorrect.
Ertosthnes
I don't have a diagram for this, so I'm going to do my best to describe it.

A glass tube lying horizontally has three different cross-sectional areas, A, B and C. Area A is 12 cm^2, B is 5.6 cm^2, and C is 6.0 cm^2. Mercury (density = 13,600 kg/m^3) is being pushed through the tube by a piston open to the atmosphere at the end of area A. The mercury flows through area B and leaves the tube at area C with a velocity of 8.0 m/s.

a) What is the total pressure at point A in area A?
b) What is the total pressure at point B in area B?

Relevant equations:

Pressure = Force/Area
Density = mass/volume
A(1)v(1) = A(2)v(2)
P(1) + (1/2)pv(1)^2 = P(2) + (1/2)pv(2)^2 } part of Bernoulli's equation

^all that comes to mind

My attempt at a solution:

To calculate the velocity of mercury through area A:
A(1)v(1) = A(2)v(2)
.12 m^2 * v(1) = .06 m^2 * 8 m/s
v(1) = 4 m/s

To calculate the velocity of mercury through area B:
A(1)v(1) = A(2)v(2)
.12 m^2 * 4 m/s = .056 m^2 * v(2)
v(2) = 8.57 m/s

I think that the total pressure at point A is just atmospheric pressure (1.013 * 10^5 Pa), but I'm not sure. When I use this value in Bernoulli's equation to calculate the pressure in area B, I get a negative number, which makes me think that my assumption is wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the pressure at point B in area B, I used Bernoulli's equation:P(1) + (1/2)pv(1)^2 = P(2) + (1/2)pv(2)^21.013 * 10^5 Pa + (1/2)(13,600 kg/m^3)(4 m/s)^2 = P(2) + (1/2)(13,600 kg/m^3)(8.57 m/s)^2P(2) = 1.042 * 10^5 PaIf I'm wrong about any of this, I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain to me where I went wrong. Thank you!

Can you please help me understand this problem better?
Thank you for your question. Let's start by clarifying some of the information given in the problem. The piston is open to the atmosphere, which means that the pressure at point A is indeed atmospheric pressure (1.013 * 10^5 Pa). This is because there is no obstruction to the flow of air, so the pressure at point A is equal to the pressure of the surrounding air.

Now, let's move on to calculating the total pressure at point B in area B. You are correct in using Bernoulli's equation to calculate this. However, the negative value you are getting is most likely due to a mistake in the units used. Since the density of mercury is given in kg/m^3, we need to convert the cross-sectional areas to m^2 as well. This means that area A is 0.0012 m^2, area B is 0.00056 m^2, and area C is 0.0006 m^2.

Using these values, we can calculate the velocity of mercury through area A:
A(1)v(1) = A(2)v(2)
0.0012 m^2 * v(1) = 0.00056 m^2 * 8 m/s
v(1) = 3.33 m/s

And the velocity of mercury through area B:
A(1)v(1) = A(2)v(2)
0.00056 m^2 * 3.33 m/s = 0.0006 m^2 * v(2)
v(2) = 3.11 m/s

Now, using these velocities in Bernoulli's equation, we get:
P(1) + (1/2)pv(1)^2 = P(2) + (1/2)pv(2)^2
(1.013 * 10^5 Pa) + (1/2)(13600 kg/m^3)(3.33 m/s)^2 = P(2) + (1/2)(13600 kg/m^3)(3.11 m/s)^2
P(2) = 1.013 * 10^5 Pa + 1.65 * 10^5 Pa - 1.49 * 10^5 Pa
P(2) = 1.173 *

FAQ: Solving Pressure: A & B in Horizontal Glass Tube

1. What is pressure and how is it measured?

Pressure is a measure of the force applied to a given area. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa). In the context of a horizontal glass tube, pressure can be measured using a manometer, which is a device that measures the difference in pressure between two points in a fluid.

2. How does pressure change in a horizontal glass tube?

In a horizontal glass tube, pressure changes due to the difference in height between two points in the fluid. This is known as hydrostatic pressure and is described by the equation P = ρgh, where P is pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height difference between the two points.

3. How do you calculate the pressure difference between two points in a horizontal glass tube?

To calculate the pressure difference between two points in a horizontal glass tube, you can use the equation P = ρgh, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height difference between the two points. This equation assumes that the density of the fluid is constant and there is no change in pressure due to friction or other factors.

4. How does the shape of the glass tube affect pressure?

The shape of the glass tube does not affect pressure as long as the tube is horizontal. In a horizontal tube, the pressure only changes due to the difference in height between two points, regardless of the shape of the tube. However, if the tube is not horizontal, the shape can affect the pressure due to variations in the height difference between two points.

5. How can pressure be used to measure the properties of a fluid?

Pressure can be used to measure the properties of a fluid, such as its density and specific gravity, as well as to determine the level of a liquid in a container. By measuring the pressure at different points in a fluid, scientists can also calculate other properties, such as flow rate and velocity. Pressure is an important tool in fluid dynamics and is used in a variety of industries, including engineering, meteorology, and oceanography.

Back