Determine Inside Diameter of Horizontal Pipe Constriction

In summary: This is a fact you should have memorized!)In summary, the given problem involves a horizontal pipe with a constriction and a known volume flow rate of water. Using Bernoulli's equation, which includes the term for pressure, and the fact that the pressure in the vertical sections of the pipe is determined by the height of the fluid, the inside diameter of the constriction can be calculated. The velocity is not constant throughout the pipe, but the volume flow rate remains the same.
zetabug

Homework Statement

The inside diameters of the larger portions of the horizontal pipe in Figure P9.40 are 2.80 cm. Water flows to the right at a rate of 2.00 10-4 m3/s. Determine the inside diameter of the constriction. Answer in (cm)

Here is the picture http://www.webassign.net/sf5/p9_40.gif"

Could you guys please show me how to do this? Not just the answer I want to be able to grasp the concept. Thanks

Homework Equations

I'd Assume
1/2pv^2 + pgy = 1/2 pv^2 + pgy
Has something to do with it, but I don't really know where to start.

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I have no idea where to start. How does the info given relate to anything?
From the above equation I can get
1/2(1000)(2e-4)^2 + 1000 *9.8*.1?= 1/2 1000 (2e-4)^2? + 1000 *9.8* .25?

But this doesn't use a lot of the info. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That equation is Bernoulli's equation, but you are missing a term for pressure. (Look it up!) Hint: The heights of the fluid in those vertical segments will tell you the pressure in the fluid at those points.

Read this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pber.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
How exactly does the heights give me the pressure? I though pressure=F/Area?
And also is the velocity constant for the entire pipe?

zetabug said:
How exactly does the heights give me the pressure?
Realize that the fluid in the vertical sections is not moving--so pressure just depends on depth.
I though pressure=F/Area?
That's still true.
And also is the velocity constant for the entire pipe?
If the velocity were constant throughout the pipe, you'd have some explaining to do. That would mean that more fluid flowed through the wide section of pipe per second than flowed through the narrow section--but that can't happen, right? (The amount of fluid flowing per second must be the same everywhere--otherwise where is the water going?) Hint: The volume flow rate is given by area*speed.

What is a horizontal pipe constriction?

A horizontal pipe constriction is a narrowing of a pipe's inside diameter, typically caused by a blockage or obstruction within the pipe.

Why is it important to determine the inside diameter of a horizontal pipe constriction?

Determining the inside diameter of a horizontal pipe constriction is important in understanding the flow rate and pressure of the fluid passing through the pipe, as well as identifying potential blockages or obstructions that could impact the efficiency of the pipeline.

How is the inside diameter of a horizontal pipe constriction measured?

The inside diameter of a horizontal pipe constriction can be measured using a variety of methods, including using specialized tools such as calipers or ultrasonic sensors, or by inserting a probe into the pipe to physically measure the diameter.

What factors can affect the inside diameter of a horizontal pipe constriction?

The inside diameter of a horizontal pipe constriction can be affected by a number of factors, including the material and condition of the pipe, the type and size of the obstruction, and the fluid flow rate and pressure within the pipe.

Can the inside diameter of a horizontal pipe constriction be increased?

In some cases, the inside diameter of a horizontal pipe constriction can be increased through methods such as hydro jetting or chemical cleaning. However, in severe cases, the constriction may require replacement or repair to fully restore the pipe's original inside diameter.