FLUKA Code : Total Cross Section Calculation

In summary, the conversation is about the use of Fluka, a Monte Carlo simulation package, for calculating total cross sections. The speaker is a beginner and has done calculations on energy deposition, but now wants to calculate the total cross section for the 24_Mg(n,TOT) reaction. They are unsure which card to use in Fluka for this calculation and are seeking help from anyone with knowledge on the matter.
parazit
Hi folks,

I'm working on Fluka nowadays which you can found from here if you are not familiar. It's a very useful and widely used Monte Carlo simulation package.

My main goal is to be able to perform total cross section calculation with it. So far, please consider I'm a rookie, I've done some calculations about energy deposition such as a proton beam hitting to a water target. I really would like to perform a calculation about the total cross section for the 24_Mg(n,TOT) reaction and compare the results with the EXFOR data. The energy range of n particles from EXFOR is between 1.02e6 - 5.19e6 eV which means I have to run the Fluka between those energy ranges. It seems ok, I am able to arrange the energy of incoming particles but the main issue is which card am I going to use to get the cross section calculation from Fluka.

Here are some possible cards that I'm still working on them :
- USRYIELD
- USRBDX
- USRBIN
- USRCOLL
- USRTRACK

So anyone who has something to say about that, any kind of help is sincerely accepted.

Best wishes.

I think that has already been worked out and readily available. What do you need the data for, or are you just trying to verify Fluka?

What is FLUKA Code and what is it used for?

FLUKA (FLUktuierende KAskade) is a general purpose Monte Carlo simulation code used for the calculation of radiation transport and the interaction of particles with matter. It is widely used in fields such as medical physics, high energy physics, and radiation protection. It can simulate a wide range of particles, energies, and materials, making it a versatile tool for various applications.

How is the Total Cross Section calculated in FLUKA Code?

The Total Cross Section (TCS) in FLUKA Code is calculated by simulating the interaction of a particle with a material and evaluating the probability of its scattering or absorption. This is done by using the associated nuclear and atomic data libraries, which contain information about the material's composition and the interactions of particles with its constituents. FLUKA employs a Monte Carlo method to simulate the particle's path and determine the TCS based on the number of interactions that occur.

What are the advantages of using FLUKA Code for Total Cross Section calculations?

FLUKA Code has several advantages for Total Cross Section calculations, including its ability to simulate a wide range of particles and energies, its accuracy in handling complex geometries, and its fast and efficient calculation capabilities. It also has a user-friendly interface and allows for easy visualization and analysis of results.

What are some limitations of FLUKA Code for Total Cross Section calculations?

FLUKA Code has some limitations that should be considered when using it for Total Cross Section calculations. These include its dependence on the accuracy of the input data and the need for extensive computational resources for simulations involving large systems. Additionally, FLUKA may not be suitable for certain types of interactions, such as very low energy interactions.

How can I learn to use FLUKA Code for Total Cross Section calculations?

There are several resources available for learning how to use FLUKA Code for Total Cross Section calculations. These include online tutorials, user manuals, and workshops organized by the developers. Additionally, there are numerous scientific papers and articles that demonstrate the application of FLUKA in various research fields. It is recommended to start with simple simulations and gradually increase the complexity of the models to gain proficiency in the code.