1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Flux of high charge positive ions, how?

1. Mar 10, 2017 #1

Amy

I need a flux of highly positive ions, at least penta-valent ions (5+ or more, 6+, 7+, ...);
    there are ion sources that can generate a proton flux, but I need 5+ ions;
    do you know how I can do that?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Heavy ion accelerators routinely do that, did you check how?

Typically they ionize the ions once, accelerate them, then let them fly through thin stripper foils to remove more electrons.

4. Mar 12, 2017 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

cool ... learn something new every day :smile:

after a little reading, this seems to be where the early term canal rays was coined.
    tho I couldn't seem to find anything much with good details of the foil makeup and charge

I'm assuming the foil you are talking about has holes/slits in it ?
    It would have to be positively charged so it could strip the electrons from the +ions ?
    if so, does that last one pose problems with the interaction of + ions coming close to a + charged foil grating ?

Dave

5. Mar 12, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Holes would be places where the ionization doesn't work. Holes would also mean you need the same vacuum conditions on both sides, which is often not wanted.

The foil does not need a positive charge. The approach works based on the huge size difference between electron orbitals and the nucleus. Many nuclei pass through without large scattering (->Rutherford experiment), most electrons do not.

Fully ionizing large atoms like lead for the LHC is done in multiple steps. The source provides Pb27+ (55 electrons left), this is accelerated to 4 MeV per nucleon and shot through a stripper foil. While many charge states are produced, the most likely one is Pb54+ (28 electrons left). This is accelerated to 6 GeV per nucleon and shot through another stripper foil, removing the remaining electrons.

6. Mar 12, 2017 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted