G for the new carWhat is the fuel efficiency (MPG) for the new car?

• Thread starter stevo13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux Loop
In summary: This conversation discusses the problem of finding the magnetic flux through a loop, given its radius and a rectangle with a uniform magnetic field passing through it. The author provides a diagram to better visualize the problem and explains that the flux only passes through the rectangle, not the loop. The conversation also touches on the confusion caused by the two different radii mentioned in the problem. Ultimately, the value of the flux is found to be Bba.
stevo13
Here is the problem: You have a loop of radius r1 and r2. You have a rectangle with dimensions of length a and b (b>a) with a uniform magnetic field only passing through this rectangle, into the page. What is the magnetic flux through the loop? To better help visualize the diagram, the length b is parallel to the y-axis, while the length a is parallel to the x-axis. This problem was on our final (I'm taking the calculus based physics course). If someone could work this out so I could compare it with what I did at home (assuming I did it the same as on the final) I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you include a diagram? I assume the loop is smaller than the rectangle?

Open the attachment for the diagram.

Attachments

• fluxloop.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 253
What is your work

Is there is any flux passing through the loops, other then the flux through the rectangle.

The only location the magnetic field passes through is the through the rectangle. Since there isn't a uniform magnetic field passing through the hoop, you have to use the definition flux=int B dA.

whether this flux passes through the hoops or not?

if no no flux through the hoops.

if yes what is its value?

The magnetic field is B. There is no numerical value. The rectangle is circumscribed within the solid loop of radius R1 and R2, therefore, the magnetic field also passes through the loop; but only through the rectangle...nowhere else. I will tell you this, the two radii confused me at first. I would think that if we were dealing with a loop the radius would be just R. On the other hand, if the shape was described as a ring then the two different radii would make sense. Hope this helps.

The dog beautifully passed through the fire ring!

[tex] In any of the case, if we have two circular rings of radii r_1 and r_2 ,or a circular thin strip of inner radius r_1 and thickness r_2 - r_1
the flux of magnetic field B is passing through it, but only within the area A and hence \phi = B.A = Bba.[/tex]

MP

Last edited:
In the circus the dog beautifully passed through the fire ring!

In any of the case, if we have two circular rings of radii r_1 and r_2 ,or a circular thin strip of inner radius r_1 and thickness r_2 - r_1
the flux of magnetic field B is passing through it, but only within the area A and hence \phi = B.A = Bba.

MP

What is flux through the loop?

Flux through the loop is the measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a closed loop. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

How is flux through the loop calculated?

Flux through the loop is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the area of the loop and the cosine of the angle between the magnetic field and the normal vector of the loop.

What is the significance of flux through the loop?

Flux through the loop is a crucial concept in electromagnetism and is used to understand the behavior of electric currents and magnetic fields. It is also used in the design and operation of many electrical devices.

How does changing the area of the loop affect the flux through the loop?

According to Faraday's law, the flux through a loop is directly proportional to the area of the loop. Therefore, increasing the area of the loop will result in an increase in the flux through the loop, and vice versa.

Can flux through the loop be negative?

Yes, flux through the loop can be negative. This occurs when the magnetic field and the normal vector of the loop are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative cosine value in the calculation of flux. This indicates that the flux is decreasing instead of increasing.