Can Friction Suppress the Up and Down Movement of a Flying Disc?

In summary, the flying disc except rotation moves up and down. Frictional force has a force momentum relative to the center of the disc, which suppresses the movement.
haruspex said:
Yes, that's ok up to there, but it's not what I am asking now. That equation tells you the precession rate that arises for a given θ. I am now asking how that precession then alters θ. Combining these facts will give you a differential equation to solve.
So do you mean that ##\Omega_p=\frac{d\theta}{dt}##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vrbic said:
So do you mean that ##\Omega_p=\frac{d\theta}{dt}##?
Yes, except you have to get the sign right.

haruspex said:
Yes, except you have to get the sign right.
Now I'm confused, why ##\Omega_p=-\frac{d\theta}{dt}##? Is it because this precession acts against wobble which is in opposite direction?

Vrbic said:
Now I'm confused, why ##\Omega_p=-\frac{d\theta}{dt}##? Is it because this precession acts against wobble which is in opposite direction?
To deduce it, you need to use the right hand rule and the correct vector product equations. But I am content to take a shortcut: we know from experience that the wobble tends to lessen, not grow.

Ok, that's a bit lazy, so here's an attempt.
Let the frisbee be spinning anticlockwise when viewed from above. The spin vector ω, and hence the angular momentum vector, therefore point upwards. Viewing the frisbee from the side, let it be tilted clockwise by angle θ. The frictional torque vector points down to the left at θ to the vertical. The component leading to the precession points horizontally to the left.
The torque component is the cross product, precession vector x angular momentum. Using the right hand rule, to get the torque component pointing left the precession vector must be pointing towards you. That means the precession is anticlockwise, thus acts to reduce θ.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
To deduce it, you need to use the right hand rule and the correct vector product equations. But I am content to take a shortcut: we know from experience that the wobble tends to lessen, not grow.

Ok, that's a bit lazy, so here's an attempt.
Let the frisbee be spinning anticlockwise when viewed from above. The spin vector ω, and hence the angular momentum vector, therefore point upwards. Viewing the frisbee from the side, let it be tilted clockwise by angle θ. The frictional torque vector points down to the left at θ to the vertical. The component leading to the precession points horizontally to the left.
The torque component is the cross product, precession vector x angular momentum. Using the right hand rule, to get the torque component pointing left the precession vector must be pointing towards you. That means the precession is anticlockwise, thus acts to reduce θ.
I'm sorry I have still problem with describing of movement. If I will understand 100% I will be able to answer anything I hope...but I'm still not sure. So here is definition of Euler's angles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_angles#/media/File:Eulerangles.svg What is happening in my case? What is constant and what angles aren't constant in 2 cases:
1) Without friction
2) With friction

My attempt:
1) I am sure that ##\gamma## is not constant and ##\dot{\gamma}=\omega## is spin of the disk (in our case). ##\beta## is our ##\theta##...but is it constant (without friction) and ##\alpha## is not constant?
2) Same as in 1) but torque of friction causes that ##\beta## is not constant and it acts in opposite direction of ##\beta##?

Vrbic said:
I'm sorry I have still problem with describing of movement. If I will understand 100% I will be able to answer anything I hope...but I'm still not sure. So here is definition of Euler's angles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_angles#/media/File:Eulerangles.svg What is happening in my case? What is constant and what angles aren't constant in 2 cases:
1) Without friction
2) With friction

My attempt:
1) I am sure that ##\gamma## is not constant and ##\dot{\gamma}=\omega## is spin of the disk (in our case). ##\beta## is our ##\theta##...but is it constant (without friction) and ##\alpha## is not constant?
2) Same as in 1) but torque of friction causes that ##\beta## is not constant and it acts in opposite direction of ##\beta##?
In respect of the picture at that link, taking the red circle to represent the frisbee:
Yes, β there is our θ.
ω is the rotation rate about the vertically up (blue Z) axis.
The frictional torque vector points down along the negative red Z axis.
The component of frictional torque that causes precession is orthogonal to the spin axis, so points along the positive blue Y axis.
The precession itself is orthogonal to both of those, so points along the green axis. The signs say it is pointing away from you in the picture, so will tend to reduce β.

haruspex said:
In respect of the picture at that link, taking the red circle to represent the frisbee:
Yes, β there is our θ.
ω is the rotation rate about the vertically up (blue Z) axis.
The frictional torque vector points down along the negative red Z axis.
The component of frictional torque that causes precession is orthogonal to the spin axis, so points along the positive blue Y axis.
The precession itself is orthogonal to both of those, so points along the green axis. The signs say it is pointing away from you in the picture, so will tend to reduce β.
Ok...here is the snag. I thought that the spin about rotation axis is different movement than wobbling. That there is (with respect to the picture) non zero ##\beta## (but constant). The spin rate about red Z axis ##\dot{\gamma}##. And the wobbling, rotation about blue Z axis. Is possible throw the disks (frisbee) in such way? Or is it nonsense?

Vrbic said:
Ok...here is the snag. I thought that the spin about rotation axis is different movement than wobbling. That there is (with respect to the picture) non zero ##\beta## (but constant). The spin rate about red Z axis ##\dot{\gamma}##. And the wobbling, rotation about blue Z axis. Is possible throw the disks (frisbee) in such way? Or is it nonsense?
Sorry I thought I explained in post #14. The wobble we see in the video is simply the fact that the frisbee is not horizontal, but is rotating about a vertical axis. The blue dot just goes around the vertical axis, not up and down.

haruspex said:
Sorry I thought I explained in post #14. The wobble we see in the video is simply the fact that the frisbee is not horizontal, but is rotating about a vertical axis. The blue dot just goes around the vertical axis, not up and down.
Yes you are right. We do. I'm sorry I only ask if it is possible in real world to throw it in this way. And if it is possible to solve.

Vrbic said:
I only ask if it is possible in real world to throw it in this way
If you mean such that it wobbles at a different rate from its spin, no. There is no force that would alternate like that.

So, using the equations in posts 34 to 38, can you solve it now?

Likes Vrbic
haruspex said:
Yes, that's ok up to there, but it's not what I am asking now. That equation tells you the precession rate that arises for a given θ. I am now asking how that precession then alters θ. Combining these facts will give you a differential equation to solve.
Definitely. Generally it is something like ##c_1e^{-c_2t}## ... It means, it decreases exponentially.
Big big thanks for your patience. I know it was hard with me :) But on the other hand, you led me very clearly.
Thank you very much.

Vrbic said:
Definitely. Generally it is something like ##c_1e^{-c_2t}## ... It means, it decreases exponentially.
Big big thanks for your patience. I know it was hard with me :) But on the other hand, you led me very clearly.
Thank you very much.
You are welcome. It was an interesting problem.

haruspex said:
You are welcome. It was an interesting problem.
Really thank you. I will try think about a problem if the rotations are a bit different as I thought first. Can I write you in here my attempt and discuss again?

Vrbic said:
Really thank you. I will try think about a problem if the rotations are a bit different as I thought first. Can I write you in here my attempt and discuss again?
Of course, but start a new thread for each problem.

Likes Vrbic