1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flywheels' torque & power

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Flywheels are large, massive wheels used to store energy. They can be spun up slowly, then the wheel's energy can be released quickly to accomplish a task that demands high power. An industrial flywheel has a 1.5m diameter and a mass of 270kg . Its maximum angular velocity is 1200rmp .

a)A motor spins up the flywheel with a constant torque of 53Nm . How long does it take the flywheel to reach top speed?
    Ans:180s

b) How much energy is stored in the flywheel?
    Ans:6*10^5 J

c) The flywheel is disconnected from the motor and connected to a machine to which it will deliver energy. Half the energy stored in the flywheel is delivered in 2.5s . What is the average power delivered to the machine?

Ans:120000Watt

MY QUESTION IS:
    d)How much torque does the flywheel exert on the machine?

2. Relevant equations
    k=0.5*Iw^2
    torque=F*r=Ialpha
    P=F*v

3. The attempt at a solution

I try to solve with 2.5x120000= 0.5*Iw^2 then use w to find alpha and finally solve for the
    Torque, but my answer is wrong.... Can anyone gve me a hint??

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2
    Help!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook