Exploring Digital Signals over FM for FSK

In summary: M-ary_FSKIn summary, the conversation discusses transmitting digital signals with FM and achieving the effect of FSK. The speaker is unsure if the resulting frequency modulated carrier will have just 2 frequencies due to the digital signal's bandwidth. They also mention determining the optimum transition waveshape for BFSK and calculating the optimum slew rate for a low bps transmission. The expert advises not to confuse the ideal and real world representations of digital signals and suggests checking out MFSK for the optimum wave-shaped digital modulating signal characteristic.
engcon
Hi,

I'm thinking about transmitting digital signals with FM. The effect I'm trying to achieve is FSK.
Can I just feed the digital signal to the input of the FM transmitter?
With FSK the carrier is frequency modulated with 2 frequencies, but since the digital signal has infinite bandwidth, will the resulting frequency modulated carrier have just 2 frequencies?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
engcon said:
Hi,

I'm thinking about transmitting digital signals with FM. The effect I'm trying to achieve is FSK.
Can I just feed the digital signal to the input of the FM transmitter?
With FSK the carrier is frequency modulated with 2 frequencies, but since the digital signal has infinite bandwidth, will the resulting frequency modulated carrier have just 2 frequencies?

Thanks

The digital signal is a real signal, so it does not have infinite BW. Furthermore, for optimum use of the RF spectrum (and to help you avoid violating FCC rules with your transmissions), there is an optimum slew rate and shape between the two different frequencies in BFSK. Can you tell us a bit about how you can determine this optimum transition waveshape?

Thanks for your reply. I must first say that I'm fairly new to this kind of stuff.

berkeman said:
The digital signal is a real signal, so it does not have infinite BW.

If you had to decompose the digital signal into sine waves using the Fourier Series, wouldn't that require an infinite number of sine waves for perfect replication?

Regarding the optimum slew rate, I have no idea how to calculate that. However, the maximum bps to be transmitted is very low (less than 100).

engcon said:
Thanks for your reply. I must first say that I'm fairly new to this kind of stuff.

If you had to decompose the digital signal into sine waves using the Fourier Series, wouldn't that require an infinite number of sine waves for perfect replication?

Regarding the optimum slew rate, I have no idea how to calculate that. However, the maximum bps to be transmitted is very low (less than 100).

Don't confuse the ideal/surreal world of infinitely sharp digital signal representations with the real world, where digital signals have finite slew rates and finite bandwidths. You're asking about FM in the real world (I think), so the digital data stream will have a finite bandwidth.

And for the optimum wave-shaped digital modulating signal characteristic, check out MFSK here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency-shift_keying

1. What is FSK modulation and how does it work?

FSK (Frequency Shift Keying) modulation is a digital modulation technique used in telecommunications to transmit digital information over an analog medium, such as FM radio. It works by shifting the frequency of a carrier signal between two distinct values, representing the binary symbols 0 and 1.

2. How is FSK modulation different from other digital modulation techniques?

FSK is different from other digital modulation techniques, such as ASK (Amplitude Shift Keying) and PSK (Phase Shift Keying), in that it encodes data by varying the frequency of the carrier signal rather than its amplitude or phase.

3. What are the advantages of using FSK modulation for transmitting digital signals over FM?

FSK modulation has several advantages for transmitting digital signals over FM, including its ability to efficiently use the available bandwidth, its resistance to noise and interference, and its compatibility with existing FM radio systems.

4. Can FSK modulation be used for more than just transmitting digital signals over FM?

Yes, FSK modulation can be used for a variety of applications beyond transmitting digital signals over FM. It is commonly used in wireless communication systems, such as Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, as well as in data storage and retrieval systems, such as magnetic tape and hard drives.

5. What are some potential challenges or limitations of using FSK modulation for digital signals over FM?

One potential challenge of using FSK modulation for digital signals over FM is the potential for frequency drift, which can cause errors in the received data. Additionally, FSK may not be suitable for high-speed data transmission due to its narrow bandwidth. It also requires more complex demodulation techniques compared to other digital modulation techniques.