Folium of Descartes: Proving Asymptote

• Thread starter mahler1
  • Start date
In summary: This means that the line is an asymptote. In summary, the given parametrized curve tends to the line ##x+y+a=0## as ##t \to \infty##, making it an asymptote.
mahler1
I am given the parametrized curve ##\alpha:(-1,\infty) \to \mathbb R^2## as ##\alpha(t)=(\dfrac{3at}{1+t^3},\dfrac{3at^2}{1+t^3})##.

I am asked to show that the line ##x+y+a=0## is an asymptote. So, I have to prove that when ##t \to \infty##, the curve tends to that line. My doubt is: The limit of ##\alpha(t)## when ##t \to \infty## is ##(0,0)##, how is it possible that the curve tends to the origin and at the same time to that line? How could I show that the line is in fact an asymptote of the curve?

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
I am given the parametrized curve ##\alpha:(-1,\infty) \to \mathbb R^2## as ##\alpha(t)=(\dfrac{3at}{1+t^3},\dfrac{3at^2}{1+t^3})##.

I am asked to show that the line ##x+y+a=0## is an asymptote. So, I have to prove that when ##t \to \infty##, the curve tends to that line. My doubt is: The limit of ##\alpha(t)## when ##t \to \infty## is ##(0,0)##, how is it possible that the curve tends to the origin and at the same time to that line? How could I show that the line is in fact an asymptote of the curve?

Your x and y coordinates will get large when ##t \rightarrow -1##.

1. What is the Folium of Descartes?

The Folium of Descartes is a mathematical curve named after the French philosopher and mathematician René Descartes. It is also known as the "cartesian folium" and is described by the equation x^3 + y^3 = 3axy.

2. How is the Folium of Descartes related to asymptotes?

The Folium of Descartes has two asymptotes, which are lines that the curve approaches but never touches. These asymptotes are described by the equations x + y = 0 and x - y = 0. They are important in understanding the behavior of the curve as it approaches infinity.

3. How was the Folium of Descartes discovered?

The Folium of Descartes was discovered by René Descartes in the 17th century. He was inspired by the work of Greek mathematician Diophantus and used the curve to solve a problem in geometry.

4. What is the significance of the Folium of Descartes?

The Folium of Descartes has significance in both mathematics and physics. It is a prime example of a curve with multiple branches and has been used in the study of calculus and differential equations. It also has real-world applications in the modeling of fluid dynamics and population growth.

5. How is the Folium of Descartes proven to have asymptotes?

The asymptotes of the Folium of Descartes can be proven using techniques from calculus and analytical geometry. By finding the limit of the curve as it approaches infinity, it can be shown that the curve approaches but never touches the asymptotes. Additionally, the equations of the asymptotes can be derived from the original equation of the curve.