For the infinite square-well potential, schrodinger eqation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability of a particle in the fourth excited state in an infinite square-well potential being in each third of a one-dimensional box. The necessary equation is 1/A - 1/(2πN) x Sin(2πN/3), where N is the state and A is the desired amount of the box. The value of n for the fourth excited state is clarified to be 5, and the previous error in calculations is corrected.
dawozel

Homework Statement

For the infinite square-well potential, find the probability that a particle in its fourth excited state is in each third of the one-dimensional box:
(0 to L/3)
(L/3 to 2L/3)
and (2L/3 to L)

Homework Equations

∫ψ^2= Probability

The Attempt at a Solution

So from ∫ψ^2 for the first third of the problem i got that my probability equation should be
1/3-(1/((2πn))(sin(2π/3)) - 0 where n is that excited state but I am getting a wrong answer of about .10 off , is there something wrong with my equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, dawozel.

Shouldn't there be an "n" in the argument of the sine function?

Just to check: what is the value of "n" for the 4th excited state?

n should be 4, maybe I'm missing a n in the sine function

dawozel said:
n should be 4

What is "n" for the ground state? What is "n" for the first excited state?

maybe I'm missing a n in the sine function

Yes, check that.

still not working, might be missing something else

What value are you getting for the probability of the particle to be in the range 0 < x < L/3 ?

Well I've been testing this out with an example I Know the answer to (where N=3) but I'm getting an answer of .306 when it should be .299

Hmm. The probability for the particle to be between x = 0 and x = L/3 when n = 3 is exactly 1/3.

Did you decide whether or not there should be a factor of n in the argument of the sine function in your result of

##\frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{2 \pi n} \sin(\frac{2 \pi}{3})##?

Is your calculator in radian mode when you make the calculations?

Can you show the formula that you used with the numbers plugged in for the case of n = 3?

I think there is still a misunderstanding of what the value of n should be for the fourth excited state.

Can you specify the value of n for each of the following?

(1) Ground state. n = ?
(2) First excited state. n = ?
(3) Second excited state. n = ?

Likes 1 person
Omg how could i be so blind, thank you! the 4th exited state is actually n=5! thanks the answers coming out correct now

For reference the necessary function to calculate this is

1/A - 1/(2πN) x Sin(2πN/3)

Where N is the state
A is the amount of the box you want
Just plug in your limits and solve

dawozel said:
Omg how could i be so blind, thank you! the 4th exited state is actually n=5! thanks the answers coming out correct now

OK. Good work.

1. What is the infinite square-well potential?

The infinite square-well potential is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined within an infinitely deep potential well. It is a simplified version of the particle-in-a-box model, where the potential energy is zero within the well and infinite outside of it.

2. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes with time. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a specific location in space.

3. How is the infinite square-well potential related to the Schrodinger equation?

The infinite square-well potential is one of the many potential energy functions that can be plugged into the Schrodinger equation to calculate the wave function of a particle. The boundary conditions of the infinite square-well potential, where the potential energy is infinite at the boundaries of the well, affect the shape and behavior of the wave function.

4. What are the solutions to the Schrodinger equation for the infinite square-well potential?

The solutions to the Schrodinger equation for the infinite square-well potential are standing waves, also known as stationary states. These solutions have discrete energy levels and can be described by a quantum number n, where n=1, 2, 3, etc. Each quantum state has a corresponding wave function and energy level.

5. What is the physical significance of the solutions to the Schrodinger equation for the infinite square-well potential?

The physical significance of the solutions to the Schrodinger equation for the infinite square-well potential is that they represent the allowed energy levels and corresponding wave functions of a particle confined within the well. These solutions can be used to calculate the probability of finding the particle at a certain location within the well, as well as its total energy and momentum.