Find Extra Force & Power to Keep Conveyor Belt Moving

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the extra force and power required to keep a conveyor belt moving at a constant speed while sand drops are falling onto it. It involves using the equations for work done on a body and force to determine the necessary values. There is a discussion about the discrepancy between the answer in the textbook and the calculated answer, and the explanation for this difference is given. The conversation also touches on the concept of friction and its effect on power and efficiency.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

Sand drops are falling gently at the rate of 2 kg/sec on a conveyor belt moving horizontally with a velocity of 5 m/s. Find the extra force and power required to keep the conveyor belt moving at constant speed.

Homework Equations

Total work done on a body= Change in kinetic energy
Force=dP/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

For finding the extra force I use:
Force=dP/dt
Change in momentum of sand=2*5=10 Kg m/s per second
therefore F=10 Newton
here the answer matches with the one given in my book.
for power
Power=WorkDone/Time
Total work done on a body= Change in kinetic energy
=0.5*2*5*5=25 J
Therefore the answer =25 watt
but the answer at the back of my book says 50 watt.
I am confused. Where am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Every second, 2 kg of sand has to be brought up to a speed of 5 m/s, so the change in energy is
deltaT = (1/2)*M*(V2^2-V1^2) = (1/2)*2*(5^2 - 0^2) = 25 J
This is the work to be done every second, so that the power is
P = deltaT/deltat = (25)/1 = 25 W
I think you are wrong only in relying on the back of the book.

Dr.D said:
Every second, 2 kg of sand has to be brought up to a speed of 5 m/s, so the change in energy is
deltaT = (1/2)*M*(V2^2-V1^2) = (1/2)*2*(5^2 - 0^2) = 25 J
This is the work to be done every second, so that the power is
P = deltaT/deltat = (25)/1 = 25 W
I think you are wrong only in relying on the back of the book.

Thanks a lot sir. But if I see it this way, the scenario is different.
the extra force as needed was 10 N. The point of application moves 5 m in a second. SO the net work done in one second could possibly be =5*10=50 J. and power=50/1= 50 watt

i am confused. Please explain the fallacy in this method.

You bring up a very interesting point, something that I had overlooked. Thank you.

If we start with Newton's second law applied to a single sand particle in the horizontal direction, the only force acting is the friction force of the belt and the equation reads
f = m * d^2x/d^2 = m * dx/dt * d (dx/dt)/dx
which can be re-arranged to express the differeential work done on the particle by friction
dW = f*dx = m * dx/dt * d(dx/dt) = d(m*v^2/2)
Now express the friction power, Pf as
Pf = dW/dt = f *dx/dt = d(m*v^2/2)/dt = 10*5 = 50 W

Now this is friction power, and as we have both observed, only half of it winds up in the eventual load kinetic energy. The remaining part is dissipated as heat - it is lost from the mechanical system. Thus dribbling material onto the conveyor is a relatively inefficient way of putting it onto the conveyor compared to putting it on from a chute where it has a velocity that almost matches the conveyor velocity when it lands.

There is a minor fallacy in your statement. The point of application of the friction force most likely does not move 5 m in one second, that is to say, this force is not active through a 5 m distance. It is active through whatever distance the grain of sand slips on the conveyor belt. Once slipping stops, the friction force goes to zero.

Dr.D said:
You bring up a very interesting point, something that I had overlooked. Thank you.
Physics is full of such things, isn't it? I learned it after I joined PF
If we start with Newton's second law applied to a single sand particle in the horizontal direction, the only force acting is the friction force of the belt and the equation reads
which can be re-arranged to express the differential work done on the particle by friction
I understood the whole thing until the last line;
Pf = dW/dt = d(m*v^2/2)/dt = 10*5 = 50 W
d(m*v^2/2)/dt=m*v*(dv/dt)
m*dv/dt= friction=10 N isn't it?

but "v" varies over time. Why should I put it 2? Isn't power a function of time? If we take the force constant over time, the acceleration is also a non zero constant. So velocity is a function of time. Right?

Now this is friction power, and as we have both observed, only half of it winds up in the eventual load kinetic energy. The remaining part is dissipated as heat - it is lost from the mechanical system. Thus dribbling material onto the conveyor is a relatively inefficient way of putting it onto the conveyor compared to putting it on from a chute where it has a velocity that almost matches the conveyor velocity when it lands.

There is a minor fallacy in your statement. The point of application of the friction force most likely does not move 5 m in one second, that is to say, this force is not active through a 5 m distance. It is active through whatever distance the grain of sand slips on the conveyor belt. Once slipping stops, the friction force goes to zero.
Thanks for the explanation. I have understood this part well. Thanks.

ritwik06 said:
I understood the whole thing until the last line;
Pf = dW/dt = d(m*v^2/2)/dt = 10*5 = 50 W
d(m*v^2/2)/dt=m*v*(dv/dt)
m*dv/dt= friction=10 N isn't it?
but "v" varies over time. Why should I put it 2? Isn't power a function of time? If we take the force constant over time, the acceleration is also a non zero constant. So velocity is a function of time. Right?

This post is just to bring the topic back to light. I still have this confusion. I urge you to please help me.

Dr.D said:
which can be re-arranged to express the differeential work done on the particle by friction

I still have a doubt with this question. When the frictional force is constant, till the relative slipping is there. The velocity changes with time. Therefore [tex]\vec{F}.\vec{v}[/tex] also changes, so the power generated should be variable over time.

Now consider one more situation:
Say. My second method was absolutely wrong I guess. But you were right, there was only friction force between the conveyor and the sand. It attains a velocity of 5m/s in one second. It does not travel 5 m in that second.
Average force=10 N
Acceleration=10/2=5 m/s^2
displacement=5/2
Average power=Work/Time
=(10*5/2) /1
=25 WI am thoroughly confused over this. Force on a particle is dP/dt
How is power defined?
dW/dt, right??
If I want to calculate the average power= delta (W)/delta (t)
delta W= F(avg)*delta (x)
where x is displacement.But, when I reread the question, I found out that the question asks for the power generated by conveyor. I think the time period of action of friction is very small ->0
So in that case, I can say that average power is [tex]\vec{F}.\vec{v}[/tex]here v=2 and f=10.Why isn't anyone trying to help me?

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the extra force and power needed to keep a conveyor belt moving?

To calculate the extra force and power required, you need to know the weight of the load being carried by the conveyor belt, the speed of the belt, and the coefficient of friction between the belt and the surface it's moving on. You can then use the formula F = ma to calculate the extra force needed, and P = Fv to calculate the extra power needed.

2. What factors can affect the amount of extra force and power needed to keep a conveyor belt moving?

The amount of extra force and power needed can be affected by the weight of the load, the speed of the belt, the coefficient of friction, the angle of incline of the belt, and any additional resistance or friction in the system such as from pulleys or bearings.

3. How can I reduce the amount of extra force and power needed to keep a conveyor belt moving?

There are a few ways to reduce the extra force and power needed. One way is to decrease the speed of the belt, as this will decrease the amount of kinetic energy needed to keep it moving. Another way is to decrease the weight of the load, or to use a more efficient belt material with a lower coefficient of friction. Additionally, regularly maintaining and lubricating the conveyor belt and its components can also help reduce the amount of extra force and power needed.

4. What are the consequences of not providing enough extra force and power for a conveyor belt?

If the extra force and power needed to keep a conveyor belt moving are not provided, the belt may start to slow down or even stop, causing a disruption in the production process. This can result in delays, decreased productivity, and potential damage to the belt or other components in the system. In extreme cases, it could even lead to a breakdown of the entire conveyor system.

5. Are there any safety considerations to keep in mind when determining the extra force and power needed for a conveyor belt?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the extra force and power provided to the conveyor belt are not excessive, as this could cause the belt to move too quickly or with too much force, potentially causing accidents or injuries. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the conveyor belt and its components to ensure safe and efficient operation.