1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and Power

1. Jan 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sand drops are falling gently at the rate of 2 kg/sec on a conveyor belt moving horizontally with a velocity of 5 m/s. Find the extra force and power required to keep the conveyor belt moving at constant speed.

2. Relevant equations
    Total work done on a body= Change in kinetic energy

3. The attempt at a solution
    For finding the extra force I use:
    Change in momentum of sand=2*5=10 Kg m/s per second
    therefore F=10 newton
    here the answer matches with the one given in my book.
    for power
    Total work done on a body= Change in kinetic energy
    =0.5*2*5*5=25 J
    Therefore the answer =25 watt
    but the answer at the back of my book says 50 watt.
    I am confused. Where am I wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2009 #2
    Every second, 2 kg of sand has to be brought up to a speed of 5 m/s, so the change in energy is
    deltaT = (1/2)*M*(V2^2-V1^2) = (1/2)*2*(5^2 - 0^2) = 25 J
    This is the work to be done every second, so that the power is
    P = deltaT/deltat = (25)/1 = 25 W
    I think you are wrong only in relying on the back of the book.
  4. Jan 26, 2009 #3
    Thanks a lot sir. But if I see it this way, the scenario is different.
    the extra force as needed was 10 N. The point of application moves 5 m in a second. SO the net work done in one second could possibly be =5*10=50 J. and power=50/1= 50 watt

i am confused. Please explain the fallacy in this method.
  5. Jan 26, 2009 #4
    You bring up a very interesting point, something that I had overlooked. Thank you.

If we start with Newton's second law applied to a single sand particle in the horizontal direction, the only force acting is the friction force of the belt and the equation reads
    f = m * d^2x/d^2 = m * dx/dt * d (dx/dt)/dx
    which can be re-arranged to express the differeential work done on the particle by friction
    dW = f*dx = m * dx/dt * d(dx/dt) = d(m*v^2/2)
    Now express the friction power, Pf as
    Pf = dW/dt = f *dx/dt = d(m*v^2/2)/dt = 10*5 = 50 W

Now this is friction power, and as we have both observed, only half of it winds up in the eventual load kinetic energy. The remaining part is dissipated as heat - it is lost from the mechanical system. Thus dribbling material onto the conveyor is a relatively inefficient way of putting it onto the conveyor compared to putting it on from a chute where it has a velocity that almost matches the conveyor velocity when it lands.

There is a minor fallacy in your statement. The point of application of the friction force most likely does not move 5 m in one second, that is to say, this force is not active through a 5 m distance. It is active through whatever distance the grain of sand slips on the conveyor belt. Once slipping stops, the friction force goes to zero.
  6. Jan 27, 2009 #5
    Physics is full of such things, isnt it? I learned it after I joined PF
    I understood the whole thing until the last line;
    Pf = dW/dt = d(m*v^2/2)/dt = 10*5 = 50 W
    m*dv/dt= friction=10 N isnt it?

but "v" varies over time. Why should I put it 2??? Isn't power a function of time? If we take the force constant over time, the acceleration is also a non zero constant. So velocity is a function of time. Right?

Thanks for the explanation. I have understood this part well. Thanks.
  7. Jan 28, 2009 #6
    This post is just to bring the topic back to light. I still have this confusion. I urge you to please help me.
  8. Jan 30, 2009 #7
    I still have a doubt with this question. When the frictional force is constant, till the relative slipping is there. The velocity changes with time. Therefore [tex]\vec{F}.\vec{v}[/tex] also changes, so the power generated should be variable over time.

Now consider one more situation:
    Say. My second method was absolutely wrong I guess. But you were right, there was only friction force between the conveyor and the sand. It attains a velocity of 5m/s in one second. It does not travel 5 m in that second.
    Average force=10 N
    Acceleration=10/2=5 m/s^2
    Average power=Work/Time
    =(10*5/2) /1
    =25 W

I am thoroughly confused over this. Force on a particle is dP/dt
    How is power defined?????
    dW/dt, right??
    If I want to calculate the average power= delta (W)/delta (t)
    delta W= F(avg)*delta (x)
    where x is displacement.

But, when I reread the question, I found out that the question asks for the power generated by conveyor. I think the time period of action of friction is very small ->0
    So in that case, I can say that average power is [tex]\vec{F}.\vec{v}[/tex]here v=2 and f=10.

Why isnt anyone trying to help me?????
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?