Solving Force and Velocity: Get Answer in 7.3m/s

In summary, the conversation discussed using the equations f=ma and vf^2=vi^2+2ad to solve a problem involving a box and its energy at different points. The concept of conservation of energy was also mentioned, where the total energy at any point can be calculated using the area under the graph. The conversation also touched upon the initial velocity and how it can be assumed to be 0 in some cases.
brentwoodbc
test1.jpg

I did

f=ma
(30+20)/2=2a
a=12.5m/s^2

vf^2=vi^2+2ad
vf^2=0+2•12.5•10
vf= 16 m/s

I remember doing a question like this on a test a while ago and I think the teacher said you don't know that the initial velocity is 0 or something like that?

anyways my way I don't get the right answer, the correct answer is 7.3m/s

How do I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The area under the graph gives the total work done.

At 10m, the box will have two kinds of energy, one is kinetic, what is the other?

rock.freak667 said:
The area under the graph gives the total work done.

At 10m, the box will have two kinds of energy, one is kinetic, what is the other?

ya there is ep and ek but you can't really find Ek at the start or at the end right?

unless you assume the starting velocity is 0 but what if its not?

or do u use 250j total energy and the inititial Ep, I thinks that's right.

brentwoodbc said:
ya there is ep and ek but you can't really find Ek at the start or at the end right?

unless you assume the starting velocity is 0 but what if its not?

That's the nice thing about conservation of energy.

Ep+Ek= Total energy up to the point of the motion.

So at the beginning

mghinitial+1/2mv2initial = Total energy.

And at any other point

mgh + 1/2 mv2= Total energy at that point.

So if you want the energy at the end. You can get the total energy there using the area.

so mghend +1/2mv2end=Total energy at the end.

thank you very much.

Related to Solving Force and Velocity: Get Answer in 7.3m/s

What is force and velocity?

Force and velocity are two important concepts in physics. Force is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, or the speed and direction in which an object is moving.

How are force and velocity related?

Force and velocity are related through Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and vice versa.

What is the formula for solving force and velocity?

The formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. The formula for calculating velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time. To solve for force or velocity, you will need to know the values of the other variables in the equation.

How do you solve for force and velocity?

To solve for force and velocity, you will need to use the appropriate formula and plug in the known values. For example, if you know the mass and acceleration of an object, you can use the formula F = m x a to calculate the force. If you know the distance and time an object has traveled, you can use the formula v = d/t to calculate the velocity.

What is an example problem for solving force and velocity?

An example problem for solving force and velocity could be: A car with a mass of 1000 kg has an acceleration of 5 m/s^2. What is the force acting on the car?

To solve this problem, we can use the formula F = m x a and plug in the known values: F = (1000 kg) x (5 m/s^2) = 5000 N. Therefore, the force acting on the car is 5000 Newtons.