Force between charged plates

In summary: Your name]In summary, we are asked to find the force per unit area of a configuration consisting of two charged plates, plate 1 and plate 2, separated by a distance s and with charge densities σ1 and σ2, respectively. By using the definition of electric field and Gauss' Law, we can calculate the force per unit area on each plate and then add them together to get the total force per unit area on the configuration.
bodensee9

Homework Statement

Two charged plates, plate 1 and plate 2, are separated by a distance s. Plate 1 has charge density [tex]\sigma_{1}[/tex] and plate 2 has charge density [tex]\sigma_{2}.[/tex] Assume that the electric field to the left of plate 1 is [tex]E_{1},[/tex] in between the 2 plates is [tex]E_{2},[/tex] and to the right of plate 2 is [tex]E_{3}.[/tex] Find the force per unit area of this configuration (I guess assume that somehow these two plates were connected).

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume Gaussian units:
So would I do [tex]dF = \int Edq[/tex] and so assume that the plates have a width called say r, then for plate 1,
[tex]F = \int E\sigma_{1}dr[/tex] from 0 to r
and since by Gauss' Law, [tex]dE = 4\pi\sigma_{1}[/tex], so I have
[tex]F = \int \frac{EdE}{4\pi}[/tex] evaluated from [tex]E_{1}to E_{2}.[/tex]
Then I have [tex]F = \frac{E_{2}^{2}-E_{1}^{2}}{8\pi}.[/tex] BUt since I know that
[tex]E_{2}-E_{1} = 4\pi\sigma_{1}[/tex] so this is [tex]\frac{(E_{1} + E_{2})\sigma_{1}}{2}?[/tex] And that would be the force. I would do the same thing for plate 2? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is correct. To find the force per unit area, we can use the definition of electric field as the force per unit charge. Therefore, the force per unit area on plate 1 would be:

F/A = (E2^2 - E1^2)/8π = (4πσ1)^2/8π = 2πσ1^2

Similarly, the force per unit area on plate 2 would be:

F/A = (E3^2 - E2^2)/8π = (4πσ2)^2/8π = 2πσ2^2

So, the total force per unit area on the plates would be the sum of these two values:

F/A = 2π(σ1^2 + σ2^2)

This is assuming that the plates are connected and can experience a net force due to the electric fields. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

I would first check the units of the equations provided to ensure they are consistent. It seems that the units are in Gaussian units, so I would convert them to SI units for ease of calculation and comparison to other equations.

Next, I would suggest using the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge, and E is the electric field. This equation can be applied to both plates separately, as they each have their own electric field (E1 and E3), and then the force per unit area can be calculated by dividing by the area of the plates.

For plate 1, the force per unit area would be F1/A = \sigma_{1}E_{1} where \sigma_{1} is the charge density and E1 is the electric field to the left of plate 1. Similarly, for plate 2, the force per unit area would be F2/A = \sigma_{2}E_{3} where \sigma_{2} is the charge density and E3 is the electric field to the right of plate 2.

To find the force per unit area between the plates, we can use the equation F2/A - F1/A = \sigma_{2}E_{3} - \sigma_{1}E_{1}. This represents the force per unit area created by the electric fields between the plates, since the electric fields are in opposite directions.

Finally, to find the total force per unit area of the configuration, we can add the force per unit area from each plate (F1/A and F2/A) to the force per unit area between the plates (\sigma_{2}E_{3} - \sigma_{1}E_{1}). This will give us the overall force per unit area.

In summary, the force per unit area between the charged plates can be found by using the equation F = qE and considering the electric fields and charge densities of each plate separately, as well as the electric field between the plates.

1. What is the force between two charged plates?

The force between two charged plates is known as the electrostatic force, and it is the force that exists between two stationary charged objects. It is caused by the interaction between the electric fields of the two objects.

2. How is the force between charged plates calculated?

The force between charged plates can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the force between charged plates?

The force between charged plates is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of material the plates are made of. It is also affected by any other nearby charged objects that may influence the electric field.

4. How do the properties of the plates affect the force between them?

The properties of the plates, such as their size, shape, and material, can affect the force between them by altering the distribution of charge on the plates and the strength of their electric fields. For example, larger plates will have a larger surface area for charge to accumulate on, resulting in a stronger force.

5. What are some real-world applications of the force between charged plates?

The force between charged plates has many practical applications, including in electronic devices such as capacitors and touch screens. It is also used in air purifiers to attract and remove charged particles from the air, and in electrostatic precipitators to remove pollutants from industrial emissions.