1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force between charged plates

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two charged plates, plate 1 and plate 2, are separated by a distance s. Plate 1 has charge density [tex]\sigma_{1}[/tex] and plate 2 has charge density [tex]\sigma_{2}.[/tex] Assume that the electric field to the left of plate 1 is [tex]E_{1},[/tex] in between the 2 plates is [tex]E_{2},[/tex] and to the right of plate 2 is [tex]E_{3}.[/tex] Find the force per unit area of this configuration (I guess assume that somehow these two plates were connected).

3. The attempt at a solution

Assume Gaussian units:
    So would I do [tex]dF = \int Edq[/tex] and so assume that the plates have a width called say r, then for plate 1,
    [tex]F = \int E\sigma_{1}dr[/tex] from 0 to r
    and since by Gauss' Law, [tex]dE = 4\pi\sigma_{1}[/tex], so I have
    [tex]F = \int \frac{EdE}{4\pi}[/tex] evaluated from [tex]E_{1}to E_{2}.[/tex]
    Then I have [tex]F = \frac{E_{2}^{2}-E_{1}^{2}}{8\pi}.[/tex] BUt since I know that
    [tex]E_{2}-E_{1} = 4\pi\sigma_{1}[/tex] so this is [tex]\frac{(E_{1} + E_{2})\sigma_{1}}{2}?[/tex] And that would be the force. I would do the same thing for plate 2? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted