Force exerted by one object on another?

• Thread starter aishax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, when a 4.0 kg object and a 10 kg object are moving together, the magnitude of force between them depends on the type of force present. If it is a gravitational force, it can be calculated using F=(G(m1)(m2))/r^2 where 'G' is the gravitational constant, 'm1' and 'm2' are the mass of the two objects, and 'r' is the distance between them. If it is a contact force, it can be found by summing the forces in each direction and solving for the desired force.
aishax
What force does the 4.0 kg object exert on the 10 kg object when the two are moving together?

Ofcourse, I know I did not put the previous, required information in order to solve this question. I would like to know in general how to find the magnitude of force one object exerts on another in this type of situation. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume they mean the force of gravity between them:

F=(G(m1)(m2))/r^2

That will be the magnitude of the force between the two objects where 'G' is the gravitational constant (i believe 6.67E-11) and 'm1'&'m2' are the mass of the two objects and 'r' is the distance between them.

no I think he means contact forces.

You sum the forces in each direction, then solving for the force that you wish to find. Draw a Force Diagram

fizzynoob said:
no I think he means contact forces.

You sum the forces in each direction, then solving for the force that you wish to find. Draw a Force Diagram

Ah yes, that makes sense...i guess i assumed the two masses were some distance apart and moving towards each other, but instead they are touching and moving in unison. Good call.

zero.

If the two are moving together there is force between them

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that is used to describe the interaction between two objects. It can be defined as a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in units called Newtons (N). One Newton is equivalent to the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram by one meter per second squared.

3. How is force exerted by one object on another calculated?

The force exerted by one object on another can be calculated using the formula: F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This means that the force exerted is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the acceleration it experiences.

4. What factors affect the force exerted by one object on another?

The force exerted by one object on another can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the objects, the distance between them, and the type of force being exerted (e.g. gravitational, electromagnetic, etc.). The presence of other objects or external forces can also affect the force exerted.

5. How does Newton's Third Law of Motion relate to the force exerted by one object on another?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction. Therefore, the force exerted by one object on another is always accompanied by an equal and opposite force exerted by the other object.