1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force needed to keep block from moving on frictionless triangular block

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is straight from the book.

A small block of mass m rests on the sloping side of a triangular block of mass M which itself rests on a horizontal table as shown in Fig. 4-50. Assuming all surfaces are frictionless, determine the force F that must be applied to M so that m remains in a fixed position relative to M (that is, m doesn't move on the incline).

(I forgot to draw the surface the triangular block is on and sorry for the big picture!)

The answer is:
    (m + M) [tex]\ast[/tex] g[tex]\ast[/tex] tan([tex]\phi[/tex])

2. Relevant equations
    Force along the x-axis: m [tex]\ast[/tex] g [tex]\ast[/tex] sin([tex]\phi[/tex])
    Force along the y-axis: m [tex]\ast[/tex] g [tex]\ast[/tex] cos([tex]\phi[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that there must be an equal and opposite force along the incline but I have no clue how to approach this problem.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Strukus! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    No, that's the wrong approach …

only one of those equations is correct …

start again … you know the vertical acceleration of m is zero, so what is N (the normal reaction force ) …

and then what is the horizontal component of N? :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?