Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Force needed to keep block from moving on frictionless triangular block

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is straight from the book.

A small block of mass m rests on the sloping side of a triangular block of mass M which itself rests on a horizontal table as shown in Fig. 4-50. Assuming all surfaces are frictionless, determine the force F that must be applied to M so that m remains in a fixed position relative to M (that is, m doesn't move on the incline).

Chapter4problem53.jpg
    (I forgot to draw the surface the triangular block is on and sorry for the big picture!)

The answer is:
    (m + M) [tex]\ast[/tex] g[tex]\ast[/tex] tan([tex]\phi[/tex])

2. Relevant equations
    Force along the x-axis: m [tex]\ast[/tex] g [tex]\ast[/tex] sin([tex]\phi[/tex])
    Force along the y-axis: m [tex]\ast[/tex] g [tex]\ast[/tex] cos([tex]\phi[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that there must be an equal and opposite force along the incline but I have no clue how to approach this problem.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Strukus! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    No, that's the wrong approach …

only one of those equations is correct …

start again … you know the vertical acceleration of m is zero, so what is N (the normal reaction force ) …

and then what is the horizontal component of N? :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook