What Forces Act on a Car at the Peak of a Hill?

In summary, the problem involves a 1000 kg car traveling at 25 m/s on a road that goes straight up a hill with a radius of curvature of 75 m. We need to find the net downward force on the car when it is horizontal at the peak of the hill, as well as the velocity needed for the car to leave the ground. The first step is to draw a free body diagram and calculate the centripetal force acting on the car. Then, for the second part, we need to find the Normal force and solve for the velocity using the centripetal force equation.
pippintook
A 1000 kg car traveling on a road that runs straight up a hill reaches the rounded crest at 25 m/s. If the hill at that point has a radius of curvature of - in a vertical plane - 75 m, what is the net downward force acting on the car at the instant it is horizontal at the very peak? How fast must the car go in order to leave the ground?

Honestly, I'm not even sure how to get started. I'm looking for FN and the car's velocity, but I have no idea what the first step should be. Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
pippintook said:
A 1000 kg car traveling on a road that runs straight up a hill reaches the rounded crest at 25 m/s. If the hill at that point has a radius of curvature of - in a vertical plane - 75 m, what is the net downward force acting on the car at the instant it is horizontal at the very peak? How fast must the car go in order to leave the ground?

Honestly, I'm not even sure how to get started. I'm looking for FN and the car's velocity, but I have no idea what the first step should be. Help please?
Part 1: Draw a free body diagram of the car when it is at the top of the crest, and identify the forces acting on it (there are just 2 forces acting in the vertical direction). The net sum of these 2 forces is the centripetal force acting on it. you know v, so just calculate F_centripetal. Part 2: When the car leaves the ground, what is the Normal force acting on it? Then solve for v using the centripetal force equation per Newton 2.

I can help you with this problem. The first step would be to understand the forces acting on the car at the instant it is horizontal at the very peak of the hill. These forces include the car's weight (mg), the normal force (FN) from the road, and the centripetal force (Fc) due to the car's circular motion on the curved hill.

To find the net downward force acting on the car, we can use the equation: Fnet = mg - FN. Since the car is at the very peak of the hill, the normal force will be equal to the weight of the car (mg). Therefore, the net downward force will be equal to zero.

To find the car's velocity at the very peak, we can use the equation for centripetal force: Fc = mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the car, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of curvature of the hill. Rearranging this equation, we get v = √(Fc * r / m). Plugging in the given values, we get v = √(1000 kg * 25 m/s * 75 m / 1000 kg) = 15.5 m/s.

In order for the car to leave the ground, the centripetal force must be greater than or equal to the weight of the car. This means that the velocity must be greater than or equal to √(mg * r / m). Substituting the values, we get v ≥ √(1000 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * 75 m / 1000 kg) = 27.4 m/s. Therefore, the car must be going at least 27.4 m/s in order to leave the ground at the very peak of the hill.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the force of a car on a hill?

The force of a car on a hill is the combination of several forces, including the force of gravity pulling the car down the hill and the force of the car's engine pushing it forward. The total force can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How does the force of a car on a hill affect its speed?

The force of a car on a hill can either increase or decrease the car's speed, depending on the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on it. If the engine force is greater than the force of gravity, the car will accelerate and increase in speed. If the force of gravity is greater, the car will decelerate and decrease in speed.

3. What factors can affect the force of a car on a hill?

The force of a car on a hill can be affected by several factors, including the incline and grade of the hill, the weight and mass of the car, and the power and efficiency of the car's engine. Other external factors such as wind resistance and road conditions can also affect the force of a car on a hill.

4. How does the force of a car on a hill relate to its potential energy?

The force of a car on a hill is directly related to its potential energy. As the car moves up the hill, its potential energy increases due to its position in the Earth's gravitational field. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the car moves back down the hill, which is a result of the force of gravity pulling the car down.

5. How can the force of a car on a hill be measured?

The force of a car on a hill can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a dynamometer to measure the engine force, or using an accelerometer to measure the car's acceleration. Other methods include using a force plate or strain gauge to measure the force exerted by the car on the road surface, or using a force sensor attached to the car's wheels to measure the force needed to move the car up the hill.