Force of friction and Torque problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving friction and torque on a wheel. The homework statement provides information on the vertical intercept and bearings of the wheel, while the homework equations include the formula for torque and the relationship between frictional force and torque. The attempt at a solution involves calculations to determine the frictional force, but more information is needed. The conversation ends with a question about the relationship between the vertical intercept and torque.
teqvexed
Hi all, I'm a new member here. I've encountered a lot of help from searching through this website! I've searched through several threads dealing with friction and torque on here, but still can't quite figure out this problem...

Homework Statement

A plot of [tex]\tau[/tex] vs. [tex]\alpha[/tex] has a vertical intercept of 0.00176 [Nm]. If the bearings are 2 [mm] from the center of the wheel, then what is the force of friction?

2[mm] = 0.002 [m]

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau[/tex]=I[tex]\alpha[/tex] + [tex]\tau[/tex][tex]_{friction}[/tex]
F[tex]_{friction}[/tex] = [tex]\mu[/tex]n (Though is this cannot be directly applied since we are dealing with rotational forces, right?)
[tex]\tau[/tex] = Force x radius

The Attempt at a Solution

I know [tex]\tau[/tex][tex]_{friction}[/tex][Nm] = 0.00176 [Nm]
I am confused about the relation between frictional force and torque...

[tex]\tau_{friction}[/tex] = F[tex]_{friction}[/tex][N] * radius [m]
F[tex]_{friction}[/tex][N] = [tex]\tau_{friction}[/tex] / radius [m]
F[tex]_{friction}[/tex][N] = 0.00176 [Nm] / 0.002 [m] = 0.88 [N]

(Btw, I get "Database error
The Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums database has encountered a problem." after pushing Preview Post once in a while, this can't be normal right?)

Physics news on Phys.org
teqvexed said:

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau[/tex]=I[tex]\alpha[/tex] + [tex]\tau[/tex][tex]_{friction}[/tex]
This is correct. But you have not given us enough information. If you know the geometry of the wheel, you could work out I. You could then work out the torque due to friction. With that you can then determine the retarding force (assume the retarding force is applied to the ball bearings at 2 mm from the centre).

AM

Hi Andrew, thanks for the response.

There is no other information given, just the vertical intercept of [tex]\tau[/tex] vs [tex]\alpha[/tex], and that the ball bearings are 2mm from the center of the wheel. I believe it may be inferred that the wheel is of uniform mass, thus I=1/2 MR[tex]^{2}[/tex] though neither M nor R are given...

Is it correct to assume that the vertical intercept is equal to the torque from friction?

teqvexed said:
Hi Andrew, thanks for the response.

There is no other information given, just the vertical intercept of [tex]\tau[/tex] vs [tex]\alpha[/tex], and that the ball bearings are 2mm from the center of the wheel. I believe it may be inferred that the wheel is of uniform mass, thus I=1/2 MR[tex]^{2}[/tex] though neither M nor R are given...

Is it correct to assume that the vertical intercept is equal to the torque from friction?
Sorry. I was seeing "intercept" and thinking "slope". You have enough information.

The intercept gives you the value of [itex]\tau[/itex] when [itex]\alpha[/itex] = ?

AM

1. What is the force of friction?

The force of friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction to the motion of an object. It is caused by the interaction between two surfaces and it helps to slow down or stop the motion of an object.

2. How is the force of friction calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula F = uN, where F is the force of friction, u is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The coefficient of friction is a measure of the roughness of the surfaces in contact and the normal force is the force perpendicular to the surface.

3. What factors affect the force of friction?

The force of friction can be affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the relative speed of the surfaces. The roughness of the surfaces, the weight of the objects, and the presence of any lubricants can also impact the force of friction.

4. What is torque in physics?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied.

5. How is torque related to the force of friction?

When an object is in motion, the force of friction can produce a torque that opposes the rotational motion of the object. This torque can be calculated using the formula T = rFsin(theta), where T is the torque, r is the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied, F is the force of friction, and theta is the angle between the force of friction and the lever arm.