Help with Physics Problem: Calculating Force of Friction

In summary, the conversation is about a person who needs help understanding a physics problem involving a tractor pulling a tree with a chain at a constant speed. The problem asks for the tension of the chain, given the weight of the tree, the angle of the chain, and the coefficient of kinetic friction. The person's teacher provided an answer, but the person is confused and wants someone to explain the steps to them. The expert advises the person to start by drawing a free body diagram and breaking down the problem into horizontal and vertical components. They also remind the person that the normal force is not equal to the weight in this problem.
noste275
i need any help that anyone can give me... i understand some things in physics, but i don't get the big picture, and I am really not sure of how to do things, and i am really confused about this one problem in particular...

it states: a tractor uses a chain to drag a 675kg tree along the ground at a constant speed. The chain makes an anlge of 37degrees with the ground. What is the tension of the chain if the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ground and the tree is .45?

my teacher emailed me the answer of t=2785 N, but i don't understand how he got the answer. Could someone explain this to me, and tell me what I am doing wrong please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the best way to tell you what you are doing wrong is for you to explain what you've done. I'll try to give you a general idea of the steps; if you need more help, just ask (and give specifics on where you're stuck).

The first thing you should do is draw a free body diagram. You are told that the tree moves with a constant velocity so you know it is not accelerating --> therefore the net force on the tree is 0. What are the forces acting on the tree?
- its weight
- the tension
- the friction

If you break the problem down into horizontal and vertical components, you will have two equations to solve: the weight will be balanced by the vertical component of the tension (1 equation) and the friction will be balanced by the horizontal component of the tension (the other equation). Remember that the friction is a function of the normal force on the tree (f = μN), which is not equal to the weight in this problem (see your first equation).

Well, that ought to get you going. I hope that helped.

First of all, don't worry if you're feeling confused or unsure about a physics problem. Physics can be a challenging subject and it's normal to struggle with certain concepts or problems. The key is to keep practicing and seeking help when needed.

Now, let's break down the problem step by step. The first thing we need to do is identify the relevant equations and principles. In this case, we have the equation for calculating frictional force, which is Ff = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force. We also have the equation for calculating tension in a rope or chain, which is T = mgcosθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the rope/chain and the ground.

Next, we need to determine the values that we have and the ones that we need to find. We are given the mass of the tree (675kg), the angle between the chain and the ground (37 degrees), and the coefficient of kinetic friction (0.45). We need to find the tension in the chain (T).

To find the normal force (N), we need to use the fact that the tree is being dragged at a constant speed, which means the net force on the tree is zero. This means that the force of friction (Ff) must be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the tension in the chain (T). So, we can set up an equation: Ff = T = μN.

We can also use trigonometry to find the normal force. Since we know the angle between the chain and the ground (37 degrees), we can use the cosine function to find the component of the normal force in the direction of the chain. So, N = mgcos37.

Now, we can plug in the values we have into our equation: Ff = T = μN. This gives us Ff = T = (0.45)(675kg)(9.8m/s^2)cos37. Solving this equation gives us T = 2785 N, which is the same answer your teacher gave you.

So, to summarize, the key steps to solving this problem are:
1. Identify the relevant equations and principles
2. Determine the values given and the ones needed to find
3. Use the fact that the net force is zero to set up an equation

FAQ: Help with Physics Problem: Calculating Force of Friction

What is the formula for calculating force of friction?

The formula for calculating force of friction is F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

How do I determine the coefficient of friction for a given surface?

The coefficient of friction can be determined through experiments or by looking it up in a reference table. It is a dimensionless value that depends on the materials in contact and their surface properties.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that opposes the motion of an object already in motion. The coefficient of static friction is typically greater than the coefficient of kinetic friction for the same materials.

Can the force of friction ever be greater than the applied force?

No, the force of friction can never be greater than the applied force. It can only be equal to or less than the applied force, depending on the coefficient of friction and the normal force.

How does the force of friction affect the motion of an object?

The force of friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, causing it to slow down or come to a stop. It also plays a role in determining the maximum speed an object can reach on a given surface.

Back