Understanding the Force of Gravity and Acceleration on a Planet's Surface"

In summary, the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of a planet with mass 5.00 x 10^23 kg and radius 3.00 x 10^7 m is approximately 0.037 m/s/s. This value is independent of the mass of the object and only depends on the mass and radius of the planet, as determined by Newton's Universal Law of Gravity. Therefore, the mass of the block does not matter in determining the acceleration due to gravity on this planet.
cary5
What is the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of a planet with mass 5.00 x 1023 kg and radius 3.00 x 107 m? If you need to, suppose that a block of mass 50 kg is at rest on the surface. Why does it not matter what the mass of the block is?

a= Fnet/mass

i don't know the Fnet

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Newton's law of gravity.

Fg=G*m*m/r sqd
but that does not give me g and besids i need 2 masses for this

cary5 said:
Fg=G*m*m/r sqd
but that does not give me g and besids i need 2 masses for this
You have the mass of the planet--that's all you need. Use the equation from your first post.

Doc Al said:
You have the mass of the planet--that's all you need. Use the equation from your first post.

Fnet/5*1o^23=a ?
now i have 2 varabls

cary5 said:
Fnet/5*1o^23=a ?
now i have 2 varabls
No. Write the force of gravity on some mass m as:

Fg = G*M*m/r^2

where M is the mass of the planet

The acceleration due to gravity is Fg/m.

Doc Al said:
No. Write the force of gravity on some mass m as:

Fg = G*M*m/r^2

where M is the mass of the planet

The acceleration due to gravity is Fg/m.

Fg=(6.67*10^-11)(5.00*10^23)(m)/(3.00*10^7)^2
=0.037m

cary5 said:
Fg=(6.67*10^-11)(5.00*10^23)(m)/(3.00*10^7)^2
=0.037m
Sounds good to me. So what's the acceleration due to gravity?

Doc Al said:
Sounds good to me. So what's the acceleration due to gravity?

0.037m/5.0*10^23
=(7.4*10^-26)m

cary5 said:
0.037m/5.0*10^23
=(7.4*10^-26)m
No. Go back to post #6. a = Fg/m (not Fg/M)

cary5 said:
What is the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of a planet with mass 5.00 x 1023 kg and radius 3.00 x 107 m? If you need to, suppose that a block of mass 50 kg is at rest on the surface. Why does it not matter what the mass of the block is?a= Fnet/massi don't know the Fnet

Acceleration due to gravity is the same as the force of gravity for a 1 kg mass. For example, Earth's acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s/s while its force for a one kg mass is 9.8 N. From this you can assume the second mass needed is one kg.

This allows you to use Newton's Universal Law of Gravity to isolate for Fg. If you used the second mass of the object as one, it should be the same for the acceleration due to gravity on that planet.

barthayn said:
Acceleration due to gravity is the same as the force of gravity for a 1 kg mass. For example, Earth's acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s/s while its force for a one kg mass is 9.8 N. From this you can assume the second mass needed is one kg.

This allows you to use Newton's Universal Law of Gravity to isolate for Fg. If you used the second mass of the object as one, it should be the same for the acceleration due to gravity on that planet.

ya that sounds good and it actuly makes sense

What is the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is the attractive force between two objects with mass. It is what keeps objects on the Earth's surface and keeps planets in orbit around the sun.

How is the force of gravity calculated?

The force of gravity is calculated using the formula F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between their centers of mass.

Does the force of gravity vary on different planets?

Yes, the force of gravity varies on different planets depending on their mass and radius. The larger the mass and radius of a planet, the stronger the force of gravity will be.

Can the force of gravity be canceled or nullified?

No, the force of gravity cannot be canceled or nullified. It is a fundamental force of nature and is always present between objects with mass.

How does altitude affect the force of gravity?

The force of gravity decreases as altitude increases. This is because as an object moves farther away from the center of the Earth, the distance between it and the Earth's center increases, decreasing the force of gravity acting on it.