Forces on a Collar Applied by Cable and Rod

• Thread starter Bradracer18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the collar is free to slide on the rod, and the forces exerted on the collar by the cable and rod are T=700lb and Fa=1316lb (60 degrees from the neg x side, upwards and to the left).
Bradracer18

Homework Statement

Ok guys, me and a few buddy's are stuck on this one. We've got a smooth rod(BC)...and a collar(A) which is free to slide on it. I need to determine the Forces exerted on the collar by the cable, and by the rod...when a force F=900lb is applied to the collar. ***See pic.

Homework Equations

I'm not even sure where to start. I've only found the other angle to be 70 degrees.

I think there is a tension and a compression force. I think the tension force this time is on the pipe...while the compression is on the cable. This seems weird...or not how it usually is...but I think its right.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the actual answers...but would like to know how to get them...for test purposes.

The answers say T=700lb(I think in the -20, or down direction).

And...Fa = 1316lb (60 deg from the neg x side...upwards and to the left. ).

Thanks for the help and for explaining
Brad

View attachment Collar problem.bmp

Physics news on Phys.org
What do the other lines on your diagram represent? Could you state the question exactly as it's written please.

Question as stated...The collar A shown in fig3-7...is free to slide on the smooth rod BC. Determine the forces exerted on the collar by the cable and by the rod when the force F=900lb is applied to the collar.

In the area left of B...is like a rock structure(no meaning)...and same as that to the right of C...and the cable(which attaches to the "rock on the right side" at pt D...which I forgot.) The xy axis goes right through center of the collar...and so does the Force.

Is this understood now...or need more clearing up?

We really need some help on this one guys...there are 3 of us, who don't understand it. Like I said...we've got the answers...just need cleared up, how to actually do it...so we can pass the tests! Thanks, and sorry for pushing so hard to get an answer.

I have absolutely no idea what are you asking about... can you explain it more clearly...
What is your force? its direction? etc...

Okay... I guess I understand your question now...

There are 3 Forces act on the collar, which is F (act downward), tension form the cable
(-20 degree to the right, and the normal force from the rod.. since the rod is frictionless, it
must be perpendicular to the rod...

Do you know the vector notation? if yes, draw a free body diagram for this 3 force...
You have enough equation for all the unknown... make your hand dirty and solve for
them

1. What is a collar and how is it used in relation to forces?

A collar is a component that is used to connect a cable and a rod. It is typically placed on the cable and secured with a set screw. This allows the collar to transfer force from the cable to the rod, creating a stable connection between the two components.

2. How do forces on a collar applied by cable and rod affect the stability of a structure?

The forces applied on a collar by a cable and rod are crucial in maintaining the stability of a structure. These forces help distribute the weight and load of the structure evenly, preventing any one component from bearing too much weight and potentially causing damage or collapse.

3. What factors influence the amount of force applied on a collar by a cable and rod?

The amount of force applied on a collar by a cable and rod is influenced by several factors, including the weight and load of the structure, the angle at which the cable and rod are connected, and the material and strength of the components themselves.

4. How can engineers calculate the forces on a collar applied by cable and rod?

Engineers can use mathematical equations and principles such as Newton's Laws of Motion and the principles of statics to calculate the forces on a collar applied by a cable and rod. They can also use computer simulations and models to accurately predict and analyze these forces.

5. What are some common applications of forces on a collar applied by cable and rod?

Forces on a collar applied by a cable and rod are commonly used in various structures such as bridges, cranes, and suspension systems. They are also used in engineering and construction projects to reinforce and strengthen connections between different components, ensuring the stability and safety of the overall structure.