Understanding the Forces on a Ladder: Exploring F1, F2, and Friction

• Thread starter B4ssHunter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, when a ladder is resting against a wall and a person is walking on it, there is a force pulling the ladder down due to the weight of the person. The force pushing the ladder horizontally is known as F1. The magnitude of F2, which is the force of friction, can be described as the opposite direction of F1. If the surface is not smooth, F2 can be described as friction. Adding weight to the ladder will not affect the reaction of the wall (S) or the force of horizontal friction (F).
B4ssHunter
now imagine a ladder resting on the ground and the wall
such that it makes a right angled triangle
now if someone walks on the ladder , the part of the ladder resting on the wall is going to have a force pulling it down * the weight of the man *
what is the force pushing the ladder horizontally ?
if F1= F
what is the magnitude of F2 ?
is there even going to be an F2 ?
if this is not a smooth surface
can i just describe F2 as friction ? and it would be in the opposite direction

F1 is the force due to the ladder pushing on the wall

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
What are these F, F1, F2? A diagram would be useful.

nasu said:
What are these F, F1, F2? A diagram would be useful.

sry i was just uploading the diagram . my apologies

B4ssHunter said:
now imagine a ladder resting on the ground and the wall
such that it makes a right angled triangle
now if someone walks on the ladder , the part of the ladder resting on the wall is going to have a force pulling it down * the weight of the man *
what is the force pushing the ladder horizontally ?
if F1= F
what is the magnitude of F2 ?
is there even going to be an F2 ?
if this is not a smooth surface
can i just describe F2 as friction ? and it would be in the opposite direction

1. This is vague. You need to show in a sketch what you mean by "F1 and F2".

2. This is a rather common problem in statics. Have you tried it yourself? Have you tried looking it up? It took me less than 5 seconds to find this:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/301/lectures/node133.html

Edit: I see a sketch now.

Zz.

i just uploaded the diagram , i forgot to upload when i first posted the thread
and mr zapper , i have seen your link , there is only a friction force on the horizontal direction , i mean there should be a force by the ladder , because of there is no force by the ladder on the ground then there should be no friction

B4ssHunter said:
i just uploaded the diagram , i forgot to upload when i first posted the thread
and mr zapper , i have seen your link , there is only a friction force on the horizontal direction , i mean there should be a force by the ladder , because of there is no force by the ladder on the ground then there should be no friction

OK, so why can't you add that vertical friction?

Presumably, from the way you responded, you already know how to solve the problem with only the horizontal friction at the bottom of the ladder. What is the difficulty in adding another vertical friction at the top of the ladder?

BTW, you really should show the free-body diagram in full. The diagram you showed doesn't show much of what you've understood in solving this problem.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
OK, so why can't you add that vertical friction?

Presumably, from the way you responded, you already know how to solve the problem with only the horizontal friction at the bottom of the ladder. What is the difficulty in adding another vertical friction at the top of the ladder?

BTW, you really should show the free-body diagram in full. The diagram you showed doesn't show much of what you've understood in solving this problem.

Zz.
i am currently studying general equilibrium of bodies ,
i can solve it with both frictions , but the thing is , how does horizontal friction arise if the ladder does not act with a force on the ground ?
in the link you sent me , as you can see , on the ground , there is a horizontal force of Friction , but on the other hand , there is no other force opposing it , there should be a force caused by the ladder on the ground which caused friction to arise
the only horizontal force that opposes the horizontal friction on the ground is the Reaction by the wall on the ladder denoted by S in the diagram in your link , is this force S what causes friction to arise on the ground ?
if it is , then why would increasing the weight increase the horizontal friction ?
as far as i could tell weight will not affect the Force S which is the reaction of the wall

In a free body diagram for the ladder you show only the forces on the ladder. Not on the ground, the wall or other objects. This is what they did in that link.
But there are forces on the wall and on the ground.
Actually what you showed in your diagram are some of these forces and not the ones on the ladder.

What is "force on a ladder"?

"Force on a ladder" refers to the physical force exerted on a ladder by objects or individuals that are placed on or against it.

What factors affect the force on a ladder?

The force on a ladder is affected by several factors, including the weight of the objects or individuals on the ladder, the angle at which the ladder is leaning against a surface, and the stability of the ladder itself.

How does the angle of a ladder affect the force?

The angle of a ladder has a significant impact on the force placed on it. As the angle increases, the force on the ladder also increases, making it more likely to tip over. It is important to use ladders at the recommended angle to avoid accidents.

What is the formula for calculating the force on a ladder?

The formula for calculating the force on a ladder is force = mass x acceleration. In the case of a ladder, the acceleration is equal to the force of gravity, which is 9.8m/s². The mass is the combined weight of the objects and individuals on the ladder.

How can the force on a ladder be minimized?

The force on a ladder can be minimized by reducing the weight placed on the ladder, using the ladder at the recommended angle, and ensuring the ladder is stable and secure before climbing on it. It is also important to follow safety guidelines and use the correct ladder for the task at hand.