Calculating Forces on an Electric Dipole: Direct vs. Indirect Methods

In summary: I should've realised earlier that I was just complicating the problem. In summary, the force on an electric dipole in an external E-field can be calculated by taking the derivative of the potential energy function, U=-p.E, with respect to the direction of interest. This can be done directly using F=(p.∇)E or by first calculating the potential energy and then using F=-∇U. The latter method is more logical and applicable in a general case.
physiks
The PE of an electric dipole in an external E-field is
U=-p.E
where p is it's dipole moment.

I was under the impression I could find U, and then easily determine the force on the dipole using F=-∇U, to obtain
Fx=px∂Ex/∂x+py∂Ey/∂x+pz∂Ez/∂x
Fy=px∂Ex/∂y+py∂Ey/∂y+pz∂Ez/∂y
Fz=px∂Ex/∂z+py∂Ey/∂z+pz∂Ez/∂z

however my book annoyingly states that these should be

Fx=px∂Ex/∂x+py∂Ex/∂y+pz∂Ex/∂z
Fy=px∂Ey/∂x+py∂Ey/∂y+pz∂Ey/∂z
Fz=px∂Ez/∂x+py∂Ez/∂y+pz∂Ez/∂z

which they give a derivation for in a different way. However they do go on to prove later that FL=-∂U/∂L with L the direction in question. I'm now very confused. What is wrong with my approach?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
physiks said:
The PE of an electric dipole in an external E-field is
U=-p.E
where p is it's dipole moment.

I was under the impression I could find U, and then easily determine the force on the dipole using F=-∇U, to obtain
Fx=px∂Ex/∂x+py∂Ey/∂x+pz∂Ez/∂x
Fy=px∂Ex/∂y+py∂Ey/∂y+pz∂Ez/∂y
Fz=px∂Ex/∂z+py∂Ey/∂z+pz∂Ez/∂z

What is wrong with my approach?

If [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = -[itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]U, and U = -[itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{E}[/itex], then [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = [itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]([itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{E}[/itex]).

Now from vector calculus:
[itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]([itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{E}[/itex]) = ([itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{∇}[/itex])[itex]\vec{E}[/itex] + ([itex]\vec{E}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{∇}[/itex])[itex]\vec{p}[/itex] + [itex]\vec{p}[/itex]x([itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]x [itex]\vec{E}[/itex]) + [itex]\vec{E}[/itex]x([itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]x [itex]\vec{p}[/itex])

Now since the dipole is unbound to an [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] field in free space, we can say [itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]x [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] = 0.
Since this is an electrostatic problem, [itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]x [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] = 0 and we are left with [itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]([itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{E}[/itex]) = ([itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{∇}[/itex])[itex]\vec{E}[/itex] + ([itex]\vec{E}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{∇}[/itex])[itex]\vec{p}[/itex]
Now ([itex]\vec{E}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{∇}[/itex])[itex]\vec{p}[/itex] = (Ex[itex]\frac{∂}{∂x}[/itex] + Ey[itex]\frac{∂}{∂y}[/itex] + Ez[itex]\frac{∂}{∂z}[/itex])[itex]\vec{p}[/itex], which when taking the x-component of [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] is (Ex[itex]\frac{∂}{∂x}[/itex] + Ey[itex]\frac{∂}{∂y}[/itex] + Ez[itex]\frac{∂}{∂z}[/itex])px

Now because there is no bound charge, [itex]\frac{∂}{∂i}[/itex]px = [itex]\frac{∂}{∂i}[/itex]py = [itex]\frac{∂}{∂i}[/itex]pz = 0 where i = x, y, z.

All we have remaining now is [itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]([itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{E}[/itex]) = ([itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{∇}[/itex])[itex]\vec{E}[/itex] which is similar to the step we just did, and whose x-component is equal to: (px[itex]\frac{∂}{∂x}[/itex] + py[itex]\frac{∂}{∂y}[/itex] + pz[itex]\frac{∂}{∂z}[/itex])Ex and more generally:

j = x1, y1, z1

Fj = ([itex]\sum[/itex]i pi[itex]\frac{∂}{∂i}[/itex])Ej where i indexes across x,y,z

You're approach assumes the electric field lines in every (x, y, z) contribute to the forces in only the (x1, y1, z1) directions. The second way (correct way) takes the electric field lines corresponding to the direction of force and analyzes how they change through space along that basis.

Last edited:
jaytech said:
If [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = -[itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]U, and U = -[itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{E}[/itex], then [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = [itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]([itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{E}[/itex]).

Now from vector calculus:
[itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]([itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{E}[/itex]) = ([itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{∇}[/itex])[itex]\vec{E}[/itex] + ([itex]\vec{E}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{∇}[/itex])[itex]\vec{p}[/itex] + [itex]\vec{p}[/itex]x([itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]x [itex]\vec{E}[/itex]) + [itex]\vec{E}[/itex]x([itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]x [itex]\vec{p}[/itex])

Now since the dipole is unbound to an [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] field in free space, we can say [itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]x [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] = 0.
Since this is an electrostatic problem, [itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]x [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] = 0 and we are left with [itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]([itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{E}[/itex]) = ([itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{∇}[/itex])[itex]\vec{E}[/itex] + ([itex]\vec{E}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{∇}[/itex])[itex]\vec{p}[/itex]
Now ([itex]\vec{E}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{∇}[/itex])[itex]\vec{p}[/itex] = (Ex[itex]\frac{∂}{∂x}[/itex] + Ey[itex]\frac{∂}{∂y}[/itex] + Ez[itex]\frac{∂}{∂z}[/itex])[itex]\vec{p}[/itex], which when taking the x-component of [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] is (Ex[itex]\frac{∂}{∂x}[/itex] + Ey[itex]\frac{∂}{∂y}[/itex] + Ez[itex]\frac{∂}{∂z}[/itex])px

Now because there is no bound charge, [itex]\frac{∂}{∂i}[/itex]px = [itex]\frac{∂}{∂i}[/itex]py = [itex]\frac{∂}{∂i}[/itex]pz = 0 where i = x, y, z.

All we have remaining now is [itex]\vec{∇}[/itex]([itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{E}[/itex]) = ([itex]\vec{p}[/itex][itex]\cdot\vec{∇}[/itex])[itex]\vec{E}[/itex] which is similar to the step we just did, and whose x-component is equal to: (px[itex]\frac{∂}{∂x}[/itex] + py[itex]\frac{∂}{∂y}[/itex] + pz[itex]\frac{∂}{∂z}[/itex])Ex and more generally:

j = x1, y1, z1

Fj = ([itex]\sum[/itex]i pi[itex]\frac{∂}{∂i}[/itex])Ej where i indexes across x,y,z

You're approach assumes the electric field lines in every (x, y, z) contribute to the forces in only the (x1, y1, z1) directions. The second way (correct way) takes the electric field lines corresponding to the direction of force and analyzes how they change through space along that basis.

So the vector calculus fits in with the book, but how would I show it by explicitly writing out the components of p.E and then taking a derivative, as I would be more likely to want to use such a method in a specific problem. I can't see why there shouldn't be a way of showing it this way - maybe I'm being silly. The book itself seems to say it should work as FL=-∂U/∂L...

U=-p.E=-pxEx-pyEy-pzEz

FL=-∂U/∂L=... as before

Last edited:
Anybody have any answer to my above post?

physiks said:
Anybody have any answer to my above post?

The answer is in my previous post...the math is done component wise once the simplifications have been made.

jaytech said:
The answer is in my previous post...the math is done component wise once the simplifications have been made.

But why can't it be done component wise before making the simplifications?

If the problem was not electrostatic and void of bound charges, then the equation would not simplify. You'd have a TON of terms.

jaytech said:
If the problem was not electrostatic and void of bound charges, then the equation would not simplify. You'd have a TON of terms.

What I think I was trying to say is:
If I have already calculated the potential energy function U(x,y,z) or U(r,θ,ψ), then is applying F=-∇U acceptable? The answer to this is obviously yes.

Therefore If I was given a dipole moment p and and a field E, I could calculate the force by:
- Using the relation F=(p.∇)E directly or
- Calculating U first from U=-p.E and then using F=-∇U
and the second method would be the more logical method I believe.

I think this is what bemused me about the whole situation, as I have been used to deriving forces from known potential functions. The case in my original post however was very generalised.

Thanks for your help :)

What is a force on an electric dipole?

A force on an electric dipole is the exertion of a physical influence on a pair of opposite charges (positive and negative) that are separated by a small distance. This force is a result of an external electric field acting on the dipole.

How is the force on an electric dipole calculated?

The force on an electric dipole is calculated by taking the product of the magnitude of the electric field and the magnitude of the dipole moment, and then multiplying it by the sine of the angle between the two vectors. This can be expressed as F = pEsinθ, where F is the force, p is the dipole moment, E is the electric field, and θ is the angle between them.

What are the factors that affect the force on an electric dipole?

The force on an electric dipole is affected by the strength of the external electric field, the distance between the charges in the dipole, and the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field. Additionally, the dielectric constant of the medium surrounding the dipole can also impact the force.

Can the force on an electric dipole be zero?

Yes, the force on an electric dipole can be zero if the electric field and the dipole moment are parallel or antiparallel to each other. In this case, the sine of the angle between them is either 0 or 180 degrees, resulting in a force of 0.

What are the practical applications of understanding force on an electric dipole?

Understanding the force on an electric dipole is important in a variety of fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used in the design of electrical circuits, in the formation of chemical bonds, and in the study of molecular interactions. It also plays a crucial role in technologies such as capacitors, electric motors, and particle accelerators.