Calculating Force Exerted on a Baseball by a Pitcher

In summary, a baseball pitcher throws a ball straight up at a speed of 21.0 m/s, moving his hand through a distance of 1.40 m. With a mass of 0.150 kg, the force exerted by the pitcher on the ball to give it this upward velocity can be calculated using the equation F=ma. By using the kinematic equation V^2=Vo^2+2a(delta)x, the acceleration was determined to be 157.5. However, this is the net force; there is another force acting on the ball. The correct answer to the problem is within 10% of 23.625, but further consideration is needed to determine the exact value.
physics1234
A baseball pitcher throws a ball straight up into the air at a speed of 21.0 m/s. In the process, he moves his hand through a distance of 1.40 m. If the ball has a mass of 0.150 kg, find the force he exerts on the ball to give it this upward speed.

My problem is that I don't know where to use the 1.40m. I assume I have to find the acceleration somehow and then plug it into F=ma but every method I try seems to fail. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried? You have the initial and final speed and the distance; that's all you need to find the acceleration. (You may need to review your kinematic equations.)

I used V^2=Vo^2 +2a(delta)x

and found acceleration to be 157.5.

then i used F=ma= (.150)*(157.5) abd got the answer to be 23.625. Apparently this is within 10% of the correct answer but not quite right. Any ideas what's wrong?

You are asked to find the force the pitcher exerted on the ball. You calculated the net force. What other force acts on the ball?

1. How do you calculate the force exerted on a baseball by a pitcher?

The force exerted on a baseball by a pitcher can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the baseball, and a is the acceleration of the ball. The acceleration of the ball can be determined using the formula a = v/t, where v is the velocity of the ball and t is the time it takes for the ball to travel from the pitcher's hand to the batter.

2. What factors affect the force exerted on a baseball by a pitcher?

The force exerted on a baseball by a pitcher can be affected by several factors, including the speed and direction of the pitcher's throw, the mass and size of the baseball, and the air resistance or drag acting on the ball.

3. How does the pitcher's technique impact the force exerted on a baseball?

The pitcher's technique, such as the angle and release point of the throw, can greatly impact the force exerted on a baseball. By adjusting these factors, a pitcher can increase or decrease the force exerted on the ball, affecting its speed and trajectory.

4. Can the force exerted on a baseball by a pitcher be measured?

Yes, the force exerted on a baseball by a pitcher can be measured using specialized equipment such as a radar gun or a high-speed camera. These tools can provide accurate measurements of the ball's velocity and acceleration, allowing for the calculation of the force exerted by the pitcher.

5. How is the force exerted on a baseball by a pitcher important in the game of baseball?

The force exerted on a baseball by a pitcher is crucial in determining the success of a pitch and the outcome of a game. A faster and more forceful pitch can be more challenging for the batter to hit, increasing the likelihood of a strikeout or weak contact. Additionally, the force exerted by the pitcher can affect the ball's movement and location, making it difficult for the batter to predict and hit the pitch.