1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on ball

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1
    A baseball pitcher throws a ball straight up into the air at a speed of 21.0 m/s. In the process, he moves his hand through a distance of 1.40 m. If the ball has a mass of 0.150 kg, find the force he exerts on the ball to give it this upward speed.

My problem is that I don't know where to use the 1.40m. I assume I have to find the acceleration somehow and then plug it into F=ma but every method I try seems to fail. Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What have you tried? You have the initial and final speed and the distance; that's all you need to find the acceleration. (You may need to review your kinematic equations.)

4. Oct 5, 2006 #3
    I used V^2=Vo^2 +2a(delta)x

and found acceleration to be 157.5.

then i used F=ma= (.150)*(157.5) abd got the answer to be 23.625. Apparently this is within 10% of the correct answer but not quite right. Any ideas what's wrong?

5. Oct 5, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are asked to find the force the pitcher exerted on the ball. You calculated the net force. What other force acts on the ball?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?