Force on electron passing through Electric Field (calculate)

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the energy and speed of electrons in a CRT. The formula for calculating the energy gained is q*V, and for speed, v = sqrt(v_0^2 + (2eEd)/m). The unit eV was defined for this purpose and the elementary charge, represented by "e", is used in the equations. This is considered nonrelativistic and nonradiating motion.
Blackhawk4560
Good afternoon,

I hope this is in the right place... Anyway, diving right in-

Say I have a classic CRT- How do I calculate the energy, in eV, that the electrons have upon reaching the anode? Also, is there a way to derive the speed of the electrons as well? See the attached image to clarify...

I'm trying to put the old TV's CRTs into perspective, so user MFB was already helping me out with that on another thread already, and that just spawned this question...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Vectoring question (1).png
    Vectoring question (1).png
    4.4 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
The energy gained is q*V. For an electron, this means 1 V of potential difference leads to 1 eV of energy.

That was an easier answer than I could dream for! Thanks again mfb!

Well, the unit eV was defined for exactly this purpose.

Yes you can derive the speeds by using the F=qE.
Or better: the conservation of energy...I think this should give you:

[itex] v = \sqrt{v_0^2 + \frac{2eEd}{m}}[/itex]
[itex]d[/itex] : the distance traveled by the electron within the applied force
[itex]E[/itex] : the electric field
[itex]m[/itex]: the mass of the electron
[itex]v_0[/itex] : the initial velocity (when entering the field)

There is a FAQ covering a similar topic:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/energy-gained-by-charge-in-an-electrostatic-field.765723/

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are too good!

EDIT: Quick questions, first, for future search ability, what is this formula called? secondly, what does "e" represent? Is that e as in 2.7...? Thaaaaaaank you everyone

Last edited:
The elementary charge.

The formula ChrisVer posted? Just energy conservation with nonrelativistic motion.

nonrelativistic and nonradiating motion :confused:

Likes LittleMrsMonkey
In the nonrelativistic limit the radiation vanishes ;).

1. How do you calculate the force on an electron passing through an electric field?

To calculate the force on an electron passing through an electric field, you can use the formula F = qE, where F is the force in Newtons, q is the charge of the electron in Coulombs, and E is the electric field strength in Newtons per Coulomb.

2. What is the direction of the force on an electron in an electric field?

The direction of the force on an electron in an electric field depends on the direction of the electric field and the charge of the electron. If the electric field is positive and the electron has a negative charge, the force will be in the opposite direction of the electric field. If the electric field is negative and the electron has a positive charge, the force will be in the same direction as the electric field.

3. How does the force on an electron change as it moves through an electric field?

The force on an electron will change as it moves through an electric field if the electric field strength or the charge of the electron changes. If the electric field strength increases, the force on the electron will also increase. If the charge of the electron changes, the force will also change accordingly.

4. What is the relationship between the force on an electron and its velocity in an electric field?

The force on an electron in an electric field is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that as the velocity of the electron increases, the force on it will also increase. However, the direction of the force will always be perpendicular to the direction of the electron's velocity.

5. How does the mass of the electron affect the force on it in an electric field?

The mass of the electron does not affect the force on it in an electric field. The force is solely determined by the charge of the electron and the strength of the electric field. However, the mass of the electron can affect its acceleration in the electric field, as determined by Newton's second law, F = ma.